Thread: flashing Glow Plug light intermittent power loss code p0321

Post Thanks / Like

flashing Glow Plug light intermittent power loss code p0321

*flashing Glow Plug light intermittent power loss code p0321

Hi people*
    This is my first ever post, sorry if I'm not follow proper forum etiquette.*
    NEED HELP Ive been driving along and loose power intermittently sometimes the flashing GP light pops up and if I turn off and on ignition the GP light disappears.
    upon scanning OBD2 I get P0321 generic fault code.
    I notice with a sec of loosing power I hear a click from a relay in fusebox under steering wheel.

some research suggests engine speed/crank sensor but not sure if to start there or not?

WOULD APPRECIATE HELP ON THIS ONE PLS.

2007 GOLF GT TDI 170 BMN Engine

Post Thanks / Like
    16705 (P0321) - Engine Speed Sensor (G28 ): Implausible Signal

That is a bit of a pig to change and if the head of the screw strips out, a nightmare to put right so get it done by someone who really knows what they are doing.

2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    16705 (P0321) - Engine Speed Sensor (G28 ): Implausible Signal

That is a bit of a pig to chnage and iff the head of the screw strips out, a nightmare to put right so get it done by someone who really knows what they are doing.
    Do you think this is the culprit engine speed sensor I'd bought one but not fitted yet in case I was wasting my time thanks for your response

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0. Can I suggest that you add your car spec to your signature as it will save users asking every time, if you know the engine code that will also be great? Oh you can't do this of a phone. Adding your car spec

Data Sticker/Options Sticker and Engine Codes

VAG Error Code: 16705/4514/000801
    EOBD II Error Code: P0321

Fault Location:
    Engine Speed Sensor [G28] - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Engine shuts off.
    Engine doesn't start.
    Speedometer/Tachometer/Rev Counter inoperative.
    Glow Plug Indicator Lamp (K29) flashes.

Wiring/Connector(s).
    Engine Speed Sensor [G28] loose.
    Engine Speed Sensor [G28] faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Check Engine Speed Sensor [G28].
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

Special Notes:
    The Engine Speed Sensor [G28] is also used as a reference sensor for the crankshaft position and correlates with the Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor Bank 1 (G40) and Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor 2 Bank 2 (G163).
    When found in a VW Golf/Jetta (1J/9M) or Audi A3 (8L) with 1.9l TDI-PD (AXR), check Technical Product Information (TPI) 2007067 which explains issues with electro magnetic interference. A modification to the wiring will fix this problem, extensive details can be found in the named Technical Product Information (TPI). Even though this Technical Product Information (TPI) was originally released for VW Golf/Jetta (1J/9M), a customer of ours came across the same issue on an Audi A3 (8L).
    When found in a 2004 VW Golf, Jetta, or New Beetle with 1.9l TDI-PD (BEW), check for Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 2010461 (01-07-45 formerly 97-05-03) or 201463 (01-07-44 formerly 97-05-04) calling for a flash update to the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and a secondary ground installation.
    VW TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins)

When is the code detected?:
    The P0321 code is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the signal is out of range.

Description:
    Ignition failure sensor is used to check whether the spark ignition is occurred correctly or not and also used to tachometer drive. The sensor monitors the voltage difference between a resistance which is on the battery circuit for ignition coil. When the ignition coil works properly, the electric current through the resistance is detected as voltage drop. This is confirmed for every ignition event with the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor. If Engine Control Module (ECM) detects a malfunction, no ignition is possible, so the engine would not start. If there is no ignition signal for a predetermined cycle for one or two ignition coils, an ignition coil circuit failure exists.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

5. Likes 30025574 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that very detailed explanation will amend profile