Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf MK5 FSI 2004 running rough

Post Thanks / Like

Golf MK5 FSI 2004 running rough

Hi and help!

Took off the plastic engine cover to get to brake fluid reservoir. After replacing and starting the car, it's now running really rough. Any help please?
    2011 Passat SE 2.0 TDI-CR
    2004 Golf FSI?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would hazard a guess that one of your ignition coils have failed. Do you have access to a fault scanner?

Also make sure you have reconnected the temperature sensor plug on the engine cover, although that shouldn't cause rough running.
    2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, BLP

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you reconnect the vacuum reservoir pipe to the air cleaner after ripping it off with abandon?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Did you reconnect the vacuum reservoir pipe to the air cleaner after ripping it off with abandon?
    Crasher,
    Do you mean the crankcase breather pipe that connects to the engine cover? Even if that is left disconnected it shouldn't idle rough. It would just allow dirty air in without affecting airflow.
    Last edited by lemta; 24-02-19 at 00:51.
    2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, BLP

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a closed circuit breather system and the vac pipe is a vacuum reservoir supply
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    It is a closed circuit breather system and the vac pipe is a vacuum reservoir supply
    I'm positive it's not a closed system on the 1.6 FSI. I had mine snap off and it ran exactly the same. All it does is draw in filtered air from the air filter. If you didn't have it connected all that would happen would be dirt getting into the crankcase, no other problems.

The closed system starting point is directly after this point i.e. Throttle Body onwards.
    2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, BLP

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, no. I'm a home diy type. There was a short length of rubber pipe that had disconnected, but I replaced that after discovering it wasn't attached. The weird thing is, I took the cover off again for that exact reason, to see if there were any obvious 'disconnections' and once all was put back, the car sounded perfect again. I turned the engine off, went into the house to grab my phone and house keys, started her up again and same problem appeared. It's as if it's running on 3 cylinders. Also, whilst it was idling, i noticed a lot of water discharge from the exhaust, mixed with what must be carbon. Definitely not oil though.

I just don't understand how the car went from running perfectly before the cover removal to what can only be described as a really rough sounding diesel now. Very tappy sounding and rough. By the way, it's not a diesel either.
    2004 Golf FSI?

Post Thanks / Like
    Apologies, but is that the 3" pipe that heads towards the rad?
    2004 Golf FSI?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify, it's a 2004 Golf 1.4 fsi. Petrol.
    2004 Golf FSI?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that had come off, but reconnected.
    2004 Golf FSI?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast