Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOT emissions failiure on vw touran

Post Thanks / Like

MOT emissions failiure on vw touran

hi

I failed my MOT on Saturday due to my emissions. Mine had 3.82 and apparently the limit is 0.7. Is it even possible to my car to get that low as that seems well off where mine is now. Since then I have had a service done and used a full bottle of cataclean but today i failed the emissions again getting 3.23.

can anyone give me any tips on how to get it reduced? also my touran is a 55 plate and according the to the govt website it says cars before 2008 the limit is 2.5 for non turbo and 3.0 for turbo. I have a feeling the garage i went to is taking me for a ride and quoted me 150 to get an 'intake clean'

will an erg clean fix this ?
    2007 Golf GT 1.9 TDI-PD 170PS, DSG
    2005 Touran 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, if you consult the test manual section 8.2.2.2 (e.g. via this link https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....als/class3457/) you'll find those numbers you quote plus an extra line:
    For vehicles first used before 1 July 2008, the smoke limit will be:

• 2.5m-1 for a non-turbocharged engine
    • 3.0m-1 for a turbocharged engine
    • the level specified on the manufacturer's plate if lower

It is this 'plate value' which is 0.7 for your car apparently. So the smoke limit got more than 4 times stricter for you with the new May 2018 version MOT.
    A literal reading of the test procedure suggests that if the tester can't find the plate value on the car, he should use the 2.5 or 3.0 defaults; but I have a feeling that plate removal or obscuring may not be a successful move.

Having said that, yours must have a fault of some sort to be chucking out over 3, and would have failed the old test like that. Not sure cleaning of EGR will help, but if it's one where you can easily get at it, worth a try.
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, I think the only way to clean an EGR valve involves removing it, and scrubbing it's innards with an old toothbrush and carb cleaner or similar; not squirting some magic potion in the intake pipework or into the fuel tank. Wouldn't expect either of those approaches to achieve much, if any cleaning.
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the car do a lot of short journeys around town? An Italian Tune Up may be all it needs if so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    Does the car do a lot of short journeys around town? An Italian Tune Up may be all it needs if so.
    Yes my Mrs usually uses during the weekdays to do school runs and shopping trips. Every few weeks I go on m_way. Is it true if I take Air filter out and do emissions test it will lower the reading?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless the air filter is incredibly blocked up I can't see that helping. Do you know what I mean by italian tune up?

Post Thanks / Like
    After 23 post we still don't know which engine size/type is fitted!!! 2005 Touran Engine????
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    After 23 post we still don't know which engine size/type is fitted!!! 2005 Touran Engine????
    It's a 1.9 tdi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be a number of things.

Boost leak , egr sticking open etc .

Italian tune up and 2 Stroke oil added to derv will help .

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm taking it for another mot today I bought more cataclean. Will take on motorway first then go mot. I spoke to guy at another mot place he said my limit is 3.0 not 0. 7. Fingers crossed it should pass now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast