Thread: VW Caddy Help please

Post Thanks / Like

VW Caddy Help please

Hi all thinking of purchasing a caddy. It's a 56 plate model with the 1.9 TDI 105PS engine. Are these generally reliable or is there anything to look out for? The van has done 60k miles now and will be sold with a new clutch, flywheel and cam belt/waterpump. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Still no replies on this? Does anyone out there have any experience with these. Don't want to buy a load of trouble. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I said in your intro the 1.9 TDI engines suffer from head gasket problems and broken timing belts.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Keith thanks for the response once again. Same head gasket problem as the rovers? Also at what mileage does this usually happen? The one I am buying is getting a new cambelt and waterpump fitted before I purchase it

Post Thanks / Like
    The BIG problem with the BXE code engine is crankshaft connecting rod bearing wear. This causes the bearing to “pick up” as it is known, on the journal and snap the connecting rod in two, the lower half of which then punches a hole through the block. Personally I have never seen this but I have had customers ask us to change the bearings as a precaution and often the upper bearing half is very badly worn and the lower looking like it has hardly been used, I put this down to the stupid long life service intervals.

2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the information crasher. I have heard about the bls and bxe engine codes with this problem. It's a big problem by sounds of it. Any idea what mileage this may happen at? A mechanic will be changing the clutch/flywheel and doing the cambelt and water pump on the van before I buy it. Is it worth asking the mechanic to check the crankshaft connecting rod bearings? Are they anywhere near where he will be working on the van?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi crasher I think the engine code of the caddy I am looking at is a bls engine code. Do these suffer from the same problem?