Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caddy SDI wont start

Post Thanks / Like

Caddy SDI wont start

Hello, ive joined this forum just now as im looking for some advice about a 2009 Caddy 1.9 SDI. I bought the van last week and its bee running fine, but this morning afer turning on the engine (it fired up fine) and then turning off after moving van just a few feet to open garage door; I then go to start again shortly afterwards and the b******d thing wont start, its turning over but not firing ! The van is on horizontal road.

The engine management light comes on when I switch ignition, but don't have a code reader to hand and cannot get it to the garage.
    I have been reading t internet for hours to find out what's wrong, so far I have deduced that its either a fuel or ECU problem.

Here's the things ive checked

Battery (reading 12.4 v)
    Fuel cap to see if there's any pressure build up (there was none)
    Fuel (half a tank)
    Fuses (all good)
    I will check tomorrow if the glow plug light is coming on when I switch on ignition (I did not look for this) if it don't does that suggest relay 109 problem ?
    Switching on/off the ignition 5 or 6 times to get the fuel pumped through but does not help !
    Checked hoses/fuel filter for leaks ect

It seems odd that it was running just seconds before from cold (albeit for only 10 secs) before I switched it off, then go to restart and it wont fire up. This kind of leads me to believe that the injectors and injector seals are not the issue. Could it be a blocked fuel filter perhaps ?? Could it be a corroded ECU ?? Could there be a air lock in the fuel lines ??

Im rambling on now, if anyone has any advice (other than get another van) would be much appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been nulling this over today and having lightbulb moment, surely one of you helpful souls can answer this.

In a healthy vehicle (Caddy MK3 SDI) should the engine management light remain illuminated with ignition on only (i.e before it cranks) ??? The eml was not illuminated when the engine was running; was being the operative word.

Im now thinking maybe its something as simple as a knackered battery ! It is reading 12.4v. Will put battery on charge tonight and try again tomorrow, and report back for anyone who's remotely interested
    2009 Caddy 2.0 SDI

Post Thanks / Like
    Charging battery always improves the chances of a car starting, but 12.4V isn't horribly low, so I suspect there's something else amiss.

Yes, various warning lights will and should stay illuminated with ignition on but engine not cranking or running, but the exact pattern of which ones varies from model to model, so not sure on yours. With the exception of the battery warning light, absence of which can be informative at ignition on, only really warning lights with engine running need to be investigated.

Can you check what your engine code is via stickers on cambelt cover, service book or on car metalwork near spare wheel well? I can then find the relevant wiring info to make possible suggestions of what to check if it doesn't start tomorrow. Without the engine code I won't be able to find anything.

When the car is cranking/turning over, does it do so at the normal sort of speed, or slower or faster than normal? Does it turn evenly, or 'lurchily'?
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    You are urinating in the wind without a code read, off the top of my head, the BDJ and BST engines do not use a 109 relay but I would need to double check at work next week.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    Charging battery always improves the chances of a car starting, but 12.4V isn't horribly low, so I suspect there's something else amiss.

Yes, various warning lights will and should stay illuminated with ignition on but engine not cranking or running, but the exact pattern of which ones varies from model to model, so not sure on yours. With the exception of the battery warning light, absence of which can be informative at ignition on, only really warning lights with engine running need to be investigated.

Can you check what your engine code is via stickers on cambelt cover, service book or on car metalwork near spare wheel well? I can then find the relevant wiring info to make possible suggestions of what to check if it doesn't start tomorrow. Without the engine code I won't be able to find anything.

When the car is cranking/turning over, does it do so at the normal sort of speed, or slower or faster than normal? Does it turn evenly, or 'lurchily'?
    Thanks for reply Pete. The engine number is BST098315. The only 3 lights that illuminate on the dash with ignition on without cranking are the glowplug light, the battery light, and the engine management light; the glowplug light goes out after a few seconds and battery & eml stay on. Also when I first turn to ignition I can hear a clunk at the back of the van near the fuel tank, probably some kind of pump or something in the tank. When cranking/turning over it sounds healthy, not lurching atall. Thought maybe even thou the engines turning the battery might still be knackered somehow?!, I don't know its a shot in the dark. Any suggestions will be great, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    You are urinating in the wind without a code read, off the top of my head, the BDJ and BST engines do not use a 109 relay but I would need to double check at work next week.
    Thanks for reply Crasher, I did order a cheap 35 scanner off Amazon last night and it arrived this afternoon. Plugged in and it says that no stored or pending codes are present. This kind of makes sense as the eml was not illuminated when the engine was last running, I mentioned the eml in original post as I only noticed its on with just ignition (without cranking) but now I assume that's normal ?
    I really need to get it up and running an properly scanned with VAGCOM at a garage !! Thanks for the reply thou it all helps, not sure about 109 relay I will have a look tomorrow.
    2009 Caddy 2.0 SDI

Post Thanks / Like
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 06/2005-05/2008, Model: Caddy/Caddy Maxi, Engine Code: BST, 51Kw, 70PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Suction Diesel Injection (SDI) Timing belt

They haven't used the 109 relay on your years on later models.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's still not starting with a fully charged battery, see whether fuse 13 under the bonnet is getting 12V during engine cranking (will need an assistant).
    If that is OK, maybe pop the hose off the throttle body and check that the butterfly valve in there isn't stuck shut?
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    If it's still not starting with a fully charged battery, see whether fuse 13 under the bonnet is getting 12V during engine cranking (will need an assistant).
    If that is OK, maybe pop the hose off the throttle body and check that the butterfly valve in there isn't stuck shut?
    Fuse number 13 does not have 12v across it while cranking !
    Checked the throttle body (that's where the rigid air pipe from the filter goes to isn't it ?) and flap is open.
    I have noticed that with my head under the bonnet with the ignition on I can hear a long audible tone sound, when I switch off ignition it remains on for 10-20 seconds and stops; is this normal ?

I really don't think its the battery this morning as the engines turning over fine; surely its something else.
    Thanks for the input guys keep it coming !!!!!
    2009 Caddy 2.0 SDI

Post Thanks / Like
    OK thanks Keith
    2009 Caddy 2.0 SDI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 06/2005-05/2008, Model: Caddy/Caddy Maxi, Engine Code: BST, 51Kw, 70PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Suction Diesel Injection (SDI) Timing belt

They haven't used the 109 relay your years on later models.
    Ok thanks that's great
    2009 Caddy 2.0 SDI

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast