Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Various MOT queries

Post Thanks / Like

Various MOT queries

A few question for y'all about a 2002 Mk4 1.9 SDI, engine code AQM, manual gearbox. Approx 160k on the odo. I've never worked on the mk4 platform so plenty of questions.
    MOT due in a week or two, owner (friend) mentioned exhaust blow, missing engine undertray and nasty suspension noise from NSF, ABS light and airbag lights as her concerns.

I reassured that the undertray was a non-issue, and after a bit of observation, realised that the ESP light was on next to the ABS light but not the airbag light.

VCDS scan picked up just these two faults, first one pops straight back when cleared, second one has cleared OK:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: None
    Controller: 1C0 907 379 M
    Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0102
    Coding: 0019458
    Shop #: WSC 00046
    VCID: 341B317E1723
    1 Fault Found:
    00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45)
    012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 15: Airbags Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.LBL
    Controller: 1C0 909 605 A
    Component: 27 AIRBAG VW51 01 0004
    Coding: 12855
    Shop #: WSC 00046
    VCID: 2237C726BDD7
    1 Fault Found:
    00589 - Airbag Igniter 1; Passenger Side (N131)
    32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
    --------------------------------------------------

1. I've got a front right ABS sensor en-route, and couldn't see (visually and pull testing) anything amiss with the connector/wiring this afternoon, so hoping that may fix the ABS and ESP lights; if not I guess I'm into tracing wires back towards the ABS ECU. The ring on the hub looked relatively clean and uncorroded. Fair amount of debris stuck to the tip of the sensor but removing it didn't improve the situation.

2. Not really sure what to make of the airbag code with no warning light on the dash; opinions sought, please. She mentioned something about a garage having 'fixed it electronically' for her in the past, but the airbag warning light comes on at ignition as expected so would not appear to have been totally nobbled. Should pass as-is I guess.

3. I'd expected to find a bust spring to explain the graunching from NSF, but found a very torn apart lower arm rear bush instead, so that'll need doing. Are these easy enough to press out/in given suitable tooling? New 'bone doesn't seem too pricey, but other bits are going to add up...

4. Whilst checking the ABS sensor and wiring I found the inner brake pad down to pretty much metal to metal, and not much on the outer one, so it'll need new front discs and pads. Think she'll opt for cheaper end of spectrum part-wise, any worth totally avoiding?

5. Also found OSF CV boot split at the edge of the inner clamp, and a fair amount of grease spun out, so that looks like another fail. Can this be done without completely removing the driveshaft? Hub-nut off, balljoint undone from wishbone, pull hub off driveshaft, knock outer CV joint off outwards while hanging onto driveshaft, etc. ?

6. OS headlight also has a small hole and large cracks in it which I guess will also fail if presented for test. Bumper off job to change out?

7. Exhaust appears to have a small hole just forward of the front pipe to next bit joint, and I think I felt another small finger-size hole in the topside of the back box. Not sure whether either would be a fail.

Some photos of some of these bits here, for consideration please, sorry to only offer links, but this forum beats me when it comes to posting pics. Total upload limit seems to be 3.8Mb or something? Seems very meagre.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9dojgg8h8...45923.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2zfvh7ieg...60119.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwm3il7cgr...52254.jpg?dl=0

Looks like next Saturday will be a busy one for me.
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the help so far.

Anyone have the resistance versus temperature graphs for the gauge part of the four-pin coolant temperature sensor? I've found plenty of graphs for the G62 ECU CTS half, but not yet anything for the gauge (G3?) thermistor.

BTW, if anyone cares, the jobs went quite well at the weekend.
    New wishbone fitted, new ABS sensor fitted, new CV boot fitted, new discs/pads up front, 2nd-hand genuine headlight fitted, new thermostat fitted. All solved their respective problems and a few new ones emerged.
    Coolant was hideous sludge, brake servo vac pipe had a massive crack at one of the hard pipe terminations (cannot believe VW are still using this same plastic!). Air filter was hideous.
    Don't forget to maintain your cars folks...
    Last edited by Pete1; 18-03-19 at 14:11.
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff!

Haha it looks as though you were talking all by yourself. It's not nice when you've been helping everyone else with their issues when you then suddenly have an issue of your own no-one even replies. I missed your post, so if nothing else, I would have offered some moral support .

Glad you have almost everything sorted now, although I don't have an MK4 so can't help you with the graph. With regards to your pads and discs, I would certainly go for mid-range pads as otherwise you might have squeeks and squeels. Discs I'm not sure about - whether cheaper ones could lead to noise.
    2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, BLP

4. Thanks Pete1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fella.
    Someone posted some numbers for me on another forum regarding what resistances correspond to what temperatures at the operating temp region of the gauge sender action which is probably good enough for what I need.
    Bought a Mintex 'brake box' - discs and pads for 60 notes off ebay. Looked nice enough and everything fitted OK. Those discs will almost certainly last the remaining life of this car.
    Gone

6. Likes lemta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Luckily for me, touch wood, I've never had to replace brake discs on any of my cars - only the pads. It probably helps that I don't do many miles I guess, and probably don't brake aggressively. What I have heard though is that cheap pads can wear the discs quicker as they are made of harder wearing material (which also reduces efficiency).
    2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, BLP

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't tell you the resistance of the coolant temperature sensor at various temperatures of hand, Google.

VAG Error Code: 00285

Fault Location:
    Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45) - Electrical Fault in Circuit/Open Circuit/Short Circuit to Earth/Positive/Signal Outside Specifications/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Fuse(s).
    Open Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45).
    ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuse(s).
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Check/Replace ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45).

Use VC-Scope to plot the graphs from all ABS sensors and compare the results.
    You must get a passenger to operate the laptop while driving.

VAG Error Code: 00589/9220

Fault Location:
    Airbag Igniter: Passenger Side (N131) - Resistance too Low/Resistance too High/Lower Limit Exceeded/Upper Limit Exceeded/Short Circuit to Earth/Positive

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Airbag Warning Lamp (K75) ON.

Fuse(s).
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Coil Spring with Slip Ring [F138] faulty.
    Airbag Igniter Passenger Side (N131) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuses(s).
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Check Airbag Igniter Passenger Side (N131).

Special Notes:
    When "Short to positive" or "Short to earth" is found, DO NOT CLEAR THE Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). This can cause the airbag to deploy. See repair manual for more information.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, new G45 fixed the ABS and ESP light problem, thanks Keith.
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Or maybe not...
    Popped a new air filter in it today prior to test tomorrow, and gave it another quick scan of the ABS module and the same code is back, albeit minus any dash warning light as yet.

Looks like I'm in the replacement wiring situation for the OSF sensor before long.

Presumably any old bit of two-core rubber-covered cable will do, pond-wiring for example. Can't imagine there's anything particularly special about the genuine repair loom?

Your experience would be welcome Crasher, especially if you know where the failure tends to occur, as I'd rather do a little local repair than replace the whole run. Sensor end close to the connector looked OK to the naked eye.
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried what I've suggested for your 00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45) Use VC-Scope to plot the graphs from all ABS sensors and compare the results.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, but if it isn't the sensor, it has to be the wiring or connections, doesn't it?
    Gone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast