Thread: Touran oil filter housing cap wont come off

Post Thanks / Like

Touran oil filter housing cap wont come off

I came to change the oil on my 2006 Touran 1.9 TDI last week but could not open the plastic oil filter screw cap. In the end I gave up and just changed the oil without changing the oil filter as it was in dire need of a change.

Since then I have brought the correct socket to loosen the oil filter cap but it wont budge, it just strains as though it is about to crack. I went to halfords to get ripped off buying the specific wrench cup to remove the cap but still wont work, it feels as though it is welded on.

I have been looking at various threads and ideas. I was thinking of buying a new cap for around 20 and trying to break off the cap that is stuck on. Any ideas on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to end replacing the whole oil filter housing because of mistakenly damaging it. This current oil filter has been on at least 25,000 miles!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes things like giving a stuck fastener a bang with a hammer in the axial direction can help free things up, as can trying to (counter-intuitively) tighten it a little more then trying to undo it have been known to work. Both of those tend to be with conventional metallic fasteners rather than a plastic/metal interface, but I don't see any harm in trying them.
    Buying a spare cap before getting too animal seems like a sound plan though.
    Have you tried loosening it in both hot and cold engine states?
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes they are so tight they break, we stock most of them because of this. On cars we have serviced we never get the problem as we torque them to the specified setting.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Pete and crasher...

I have only tried loosening it when it is hot/warm, crossed my mind to try when cold due to thermal expansion but not got around to it yet. I'll try and give it a go before trying the smashing it out and replacing routine.

It has been over torqued I think, along with the wheel nuts which I needed to take to a garage to remove.... Previous owner clearly had issues.

Thanks!

5. Likes Pete1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

It depends who fitted the last one and didn't use a torque wrench. I always use 32mm single hex socket as the standard multi spline ones can round the plastic cap off if its to tight.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was not aware of first post etiquette, cheers for the heads up.

I tried removing the cap this morning when it was cold and it's still not budging... Ill look into getting the hex key socket that you mentioned, I don't fancy smashing up the cap and willing to try anything else first.

Thanks again. J