Thread: CV joint spline size?

Post Thanks / Like

CV joint spline size?

Hi, not sure if anyone can help. But, I took my passenger side hub off to replace a faulty wheel bearing. As the outer race came off on the hub and I don't have the separator, I thought I'll just replace the hub. When the hub turned up though, it has a smaller hole, to accept the 24mm(Ish) splined CV joint shaft. The one that's currently fitted is for the 28mm(ish) shaft.
    I don't mind getting a new Cv joint, but was wondering why this would be like this as from what I can find online, it should be a 24mm shaft. I don't really want to take the drivers side off and risk disturbing that just to have a look.
    One other thing, which may or may not be relevant, the passenger wheel sits about 8mm further out than the drivers side. I have done some checks and everything is straight, the difference definitely seems to be in the driveshaft/hub area. Again, from what I read online, there is a good chance this may be caused by an aftermarket hub.
    The car is '95 AGG engine.
    Thanks in advance.
    1995 Golf GTI 2.0 8v AGG, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    You need the correct sized hub, someone has sold you the wrong one, probably from a Polo... the new one is 5 stud isn’t it? The front end system your car uses is called Pr-2E1 and the hub you need VW Part number 1H0 407 613 B which is obsolete from VW but plenty of other companies make copies such as Febi. On holiday from my iPad I can’t tell you more.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    You need the correct sized hub, someone has sold you the wrong one, probably from a Polo... the new one is 5 stud isnít it? The front end system your car uses is called Pr-2E1 and the hub you need VW Part number 1H0 407 613 B which is obsolete from VW but plenty of other companies make copies such as Febi. On holiday from my iPad I canít tell you more.
    Hi. Thanks so much for getting back to me, especially if youíre on your holiday. Yes, the new one is a 5 stud and itís a febi part. Iíll do some more digging tomorrow then, see if I can find the correct part. Itís just nearly all the cv joints I can find for sale are listed as the 24mm size and the hubs donít quote a hole size, so I thought I must of had the wrong bit on the car!
    Thanks again, really appreciate it.

4. Likes Haidar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh i didn't realise that. i phoned the VW dealers. Will call them in the morning to confer. Thanks again. Happy Hols.
    2003 Passat 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about this, I forgot to update! It was the wrong part. I spoke to gsf and he said there are 9 different options, but obviously only 1 will fit. They had one in stock, so went and collected it and it fitted spot on.
    thanks for your help with this.