Thread: VW Scirocco cylinder 3 misfire

Post Thanks / Like

VW Scirocco cylinder 3 misfire

Hi, Iím Aaron a new member here looking for help with misfire problems. The spark plugs have been changed and itís not the ignition coil, Iím not sure what to do next. Iíve been to a garage and they gave me the fault codes: 00768, 00771

Many help would be appreciated as Iím not sure what to do next.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0. Can I suggest that you add your car spec to your signature as it will save users asking every time, if you know the engine code that will also be great? Oh you can't do this of a phone. Adding your car spec

Data Sticker/Options Sticker and Engine Codes

We have Scirocco sub forums when I know I will move this thread as it isn't a general question.

VAG Error Code: 16684/15137/10203/4051/000768
    EOBD II Error Code: P0300

Fault Location:
    Random/Multiple Cylinder(s) - Misfire Detected/Upper Limit Exceeded/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Wiring/Connector(s).
    Air Intake System leaking.
    Fuel Supply faulty.
    Injector(s) faulty.
    Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty.
    Ignition coil(s) faulty.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve [N18] stuck/open.
    Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) faulty.
    Low compression.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Check Misfire Recognition.
    Check Air Intake System.
    Check Fuel Supply.
    Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing.
    Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s).
    Check Ignition Coil(s).
    Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve [N18].
    Check Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40).
    Check cylinder compressions.

Special Notes:
    This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) fails to identify the cylinder.

Tech Notes:
    The P0300 code means that a cylinder(s) is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks, intake gaskets are common caused of multi-cylinder misfiring. If no leak are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

When is the code detected?:
    The control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.

Description:
    When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor [G28]/Crankshaft Position Sensor [G28] signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

VAG Error Code: 16687/10593/6352/4060/000771
    EOBD II Error Code: P0303

Fault Location:
    Cylinder 3 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Lack/loss of power.
    Hard start.
    Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
    Ignition system.
    Fuel injectors.
    Fuel pressure.
    Running out of fuel.
    EVAP canister purge valve.
    Evaporative emission system.
    Low compression.
    Base engine problems.
    Engine Control Module (ECM) damaged.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Do a compression test.
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 15 if misfire changes location.

Special Notes:
    This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
    The P0303 code means that the cylinder 3 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 3. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

Description:
    When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor [G28]/Crankshaft Position Sensor [G28] signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just added the model and spec to my account signiture. Sorry for posting in the wrong place, I’ll be sure to find the right place next time. Thanks for help with the fault codes I’ll try to have a look at what you’ve put.

Thanks
    2011 Scirocco 1.4 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    First step, get a compression test done but a quick test is to clear the fault codes with the engine running. If the misfire goes away for a while you have my permission to weep....
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: Compression test done and there is none in cylinder 3
    2011 Scirocco 1.4 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARowe View Post
    Update: Compression test done and there is none in cylinder 3
    Unfortunately, a piston will be cracked - very common on the 1.4 TSI - I presume you have the 160ps twincharger.
    Engine will need to be dismantled and new pistons fitted - possible re-bore required as the piston always cracks on the ringland and has probably scored the cylinder wall.
    Some people have managed to source a 2nd hand engine which will probably be cheaper than dismantling the engine and fitting new pistons.

2009 to Jan 2012 engines suffer with piston failure - the pistons are made out of chocolate plus other design flaws exacerbate the issue.
    They are prone to LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) along with early revision injectors having a pour spray pattern which would wash oil off the cylinder walls, increasing friction and stress on the piston ring lands.

It is essential on this engine that both good fuel (97 octane minimum) is used, to reduce LSPI / Detonation
    Also maintenance must be kept up with regular oil changes, using the correct oil along with changing sparks - again using the correct sparks is also essential, generic substitutes will cause problems as this engine's ignition struggles at the best of times.
    Last edited by blow; 05-04-19 at 12:50.
    2010 Golf 1.4 TSI, CAVD