Thread: Replacement bulbs for headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Replacement bulbs for headlights

Hi folks,

After some advice again. I am thinking of changing the original bulbs in headlights (dipped & full beam) and looking for some recommendations on which bulbs to get. On my previous car I changed to Osram night breakers and they made a difference but they only lasted about 6 months, does anyone have any experience of the newer models of these bulbs? or are there any other bulbs that you can recommend?

Thanks.
    2015 Golf GT 1.4 TSI CZEA

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Phillips Extreme 130% H7and Osram Cool Blue Intense H15 in my Touran, they were fitted in Nov 2015, and so far haven't had a failure; that's over 3.5 years and more than 40,000 miles. Can't remember which way round it is but one pair of bulbs are the DRLs (and main beam) so are on during all day time driving. Try powerbulbs.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ring Xenon 5000 H7 worth a check out.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Phillips +150’s have done two winters now. What is it with modern headlights or the people that drive the cars? Over this winter I guesstimated that around 2% of cars coming the other direction had a headlight out and many of these had turned on their front fog lights to compensate, why don’t they get them fixed? We need more traffic police....
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

5. Thanks Sam&Anne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    65W dipped and 100W main Strange the Osram only lasted months Ive had them last years without failing.
    2007 Golf 2.0 TDI-PD BKD 140PS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Anne View Post
    Ring Xenon 5000 H7 worth a check out.

I'd be surprised if they're 5000k with one band of blue .

Normally to get near 5000k the whole bulb has to be blue .

Not the first time Ring has gone wild with the marketing..

Ring Xenon 130 is a good 3700K bulb .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsburg View Post
    65W dipped and 100W main Strange the Osram only lasted months Ive had them last years without failing.
    They are illegal....
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

9. Thanks Sam&Anne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replies, will have a look at the bulbs you have suggested. As for the night breakers it was the original ones I got a number of years ago after about six months one of them went thinking it might have been a faulty batch I purchased another to replace only for the same thing to happen. That is why I was asking if the upgraded night breakers were any better.
    2015 Golf GT 1.4 TSI CZEA