Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf MKv TDI 110 Auto Shuddering at 60-70 mph

Post Thanks / Like

Question Golf MKv TDI 110 Auto Shuddering at 60-70 mph

Hi, this is the latest problem driving me nuts. I love the Golf dont get me wrong, generally solid and reliable...

When at 60-70 mph on the motorway, in 6th gear, rpm about 2000 to 2200, the entire front of car shudders vibrates like a front flat tyre, but there's no flat tyre.
    The car loses power too.
    This shuddering then goes on until starting to go downhill , when it then fades away and slowly disappears.
    This never happens when the engine is cold. Tends to happen after driving around 20-30 minutes on motorway.

The car is 2007 Golf Match 1.9 TDI with 136k on clock. I recently had fun/games with throttle body dying and that's been replaced and seems ok.

The front wheels have been balanced recently as two new front tyres. There are no engine error codes stored or dash lights on.

The car is generally in ok condition apart from this annoying problem.

Does anyone have any ideas or tests I could try when this next happens ???
    2007 Golf Match 1.9 TDI-PD BXE, Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    That problem isn't easy to diagnose on the web. You have had the front wheels balanced what about the rear wheels as they all go around?

Loss of power usually means Limp Mode. Limp mode: What is it, what are the causes, and how to fix it for the Audi and VW TDI diesel turbo

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    When was the DSG fluid last changed?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies.
    I dont know if the DSG fluid has been changed, but the symphom is meant to be bad gear changes.
    Symthom for turbo going is black smoke and power loss.
    The problem yesterday and today has become worth. Still ok from cold and driving around town ok, Vibration happens as soon as hit motorway and start cruising at 65 mph.

Been doing some research across the web and my problem sounds like Dual Mass Flywheel on the way out or maybe CV/drive shaft related.

Does anyone know how to check or test dual mass flywheel or drives shafts ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The DMF is changed as a matter of course when you have the DSG clutch pack changed and vice versa so at the same time the DSG fluid is also changed but you should start with a code read to make sure it is not something obvious.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep you're right. VCDS code read booked for tomorrow.
    PS I just drove 50 miles to work this morning and no problem at all - Very Strange.
    Anyhow will post VCDS results soon....

Post Thanks / Like
    Had my friend with VCDS system talk to my ECU. Three faults recorded ...

Throttle body EGR valve 'No signal' (this comes and goes randomly after a reset).

2nd and 3rd faults are glow plugs 2 & 3.

I guess if the glow plugs are on the way out they could well cause lumpy engine running so its possible they could be the cause of vibration Im complaining about when the engine is under load ???
    My mate reset the light and cleared the faults (took a copy of faults first).
    After that, some engine revving, and glow plug faults cleared.
    Driving home afterwards , 10 miles, car was completely ok.
    Today, the vibration has returned.

Is it obvious when glow plugs fail ? Whats the early symptoms ?

Any comments welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    See what codes have returned but ignore the glow plugs for now.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Going back to my motorway vibrations/shudder ...

After some more web trawling, this extract from below url fits my motorway symthoms :

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.p...joints.332208/

on there the member said :
    "During the last week when driving for more than 40mins or so I get a vibration when accelerating at @ 70mph (ish).
    This doesn't occur when driving for less then 30mins or so, my normal motorway drive to work.
    Inner CV joints worn, I have heard that if the grease level is low you can get the above mentioned symptoms when the joints heat up."

I guess I could ask a local garage to re-pack the joints with grease and that'll at least test its def those gone ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyGolf View Post
    Had my friend with VCDS system talk to my ECU. Three faults recorded ...

Throttle body EGR valve 'No signal' (this comes and goes randomly after a reset).

2nd and 3rd faults are glow plugs 2 & 3.
    You need to post all error codes found not just the brief description.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast