Thread: Which is the best Sharan engine please?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Which is the best Sharan engine please?

Hi All, Ive got to replace my 01 AUY code 1.9 TDI 115PS. We all know these are great engines, but i need to get a newer car!!

I love the diesel torque and these big cars really suit that, even though i dont do the mileage to justify having a diesel. Ive heard some horror stories about the 2.0 TDi 138 bhp (engine code BRT ?) but i believe these have a diesel particulate filter fitted as standard which im probably going to have to have !!!

Is the 2.0 138 bhp worth going for, and what problems should i look out for? Are there any suspect engine components which have been upgraded or which i need to consider?

The 129 bhp (ASZ ?) sounds like a decent alternative but i dont think these have got a DPF fitted.

Or should i really just go for the 1.8 turbo petrol? These are just so rare though!!!! I definitely dont want the 2.0 petrol.
    Your views, opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance
    2001 Alhambra 1.9 TDI, 115PS, Engine code: AUY
    1996 Polo 6N Engine????

Post Thanks / Like
    Why are you asking about Sharan engines when you have an Alhambra?

Do you have a problem with your Alhambra or you just want more power?

The AUY engine code is used in a few VAG models.

Manufacturer: Seat, Date(s) Used: 06/2005-05/2008, Model: Alhambra, Engine Code: AUY, 85Kw, 115PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Dse (TDI-PD) Timing belt
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2000-06/2001, Model: Bora/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: AUY, 85Kw, 115PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Dse (TDI-PD) Timing belt
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 01/2000-07/2001, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: AUY, 85Kw, 115PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Dse (TDI-PD) Timing belt
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2000-06/2001, Model: Jetta Variant, Engine Code: AUY, 85Kw, 115PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Dse (TDI-PD) Timing belt
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 04/2000-05/2008, Model: Sharan/Syncro/4Motion, Engine Code: AUY, 85Kw, 115PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Dse (TDI-PD) Timing belt

As taken from my new VAG Engine & Transmission Codes
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    Why are you asking about Sharan engines when you have an Alhambra?
    Same thing different badge. The latest Sharan/Alhambra is pretty good and have add-blue as well so don't seem to suffer from DPF issues but ad-blue pumps do fail and so do the EGR valves.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes i know theyre basically the same car. I could consider the Ford Galaxy version but i dont like the interiors on them, or the tail lights shape which i find doesnt suit the car.
    Im looking mid 2000s (2005/6) on any replacement, so not the later with ad blue.
    1996 Polo 6N Engine????

Post Thanks / Like
    The Sharan variant is more widely available and i know the engines etc are the same, (I do like the look of the Alhambra though, in the same way i dont like the Galaxy variant!!) but i need to change mine as its getting on now, and the clutch is well overdue replacement. Also, as i live in Germany i really need a car with a DPF as i live close to a large low emission zone area, and i cant drive into it!!
    Im looking at mid 2000s models, and the 138bhp 2.0 diesel (common rail?) sounds good, but ive heard its a very fragile engine, certainly when compared to the 1.9 PD. Id hate to change from my reliable old workhorse for one which has expensive issues lying in wait!!
    1996 Polo 6N Engine????

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure about the specs of German low emissions zones but those coming here for the Devils urine fuel mean EU6 spec so late 2015 onwards... on Angel juice, many VAG group products (like my 2003 Octavia) are EU4 which is classed as an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle and is toxicity zone exempt in the proposed UK emissions zones
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: