Thread: Cambelt/timing/toothed belt question

Post Thanks / Like

Cambelt/timing/toothed belt question

Hi all

I'm new here, just looking for a bit of advice and help. Long story short, my 2010 passat has been in and out of both kwik fit and VW dealer the last 6 week's for an electrical issue, which is sorted now.

As is usual at the dealer, they do the health check. One of the things they recommended is cambelt in a month, but they also said they couldn't find the service book to check the history (it was in the glove box but hey ho). So today it was serviced at kwik fit and they also say it's now due (10 years or 140000 miles, so due this year anyway).

My question is, how is this listed in the service book. The reason I ask is because I have a stamp from 2 years ago (before I owned the car), saying "toothed belt and w pump" changed at 51427 miles. If this is the cambelt then surely I'm not due now, 2 years later with 72000 on the clock?

Will dealer and kwik fit actually look physically or base it off the mileage and age of the car? Is it likely neither have looked at the book?

For reference I'll attach a picture of the logbook page. Tia.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190410_195453.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	6568

Post Thanks / Like
    Kwik fit wow your brave I wouldn't let them change my dust caps
    2007 Golf Sport GT 2.0 TDI 140PS

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a long warranty based story. Tbf, the local one has been good

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, toothed belt is cambelt so no change required for a long time.

5. Thanks Stewbed thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post. 2010 Passat which engine size/type?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    2009 onwards on a diesel the interval is 5 years and something daft and scary like 150K miles.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

8. Thanks Stewbed thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post. 2010 Passat which engine size/type?
    Sorry I didn't realise.

It's a 2.0 r line tdi
    2010 Passat

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you to those who answered. I'm going to presume the garages were just basing it completely off the car age or mileage and neither bothered to check the book. Fills you with hope.
    2010 Passat