Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS / Stabilisation Error on and off

Post Thanks / Like

Question ABS / Stabilisation Error on and off

Hi All,

I’m having issues with my Touran relating to an intermittent ABS fault which seems to be coming on and off at random points while driving and this can sometimes turn itself off while still driving. Often disappears when restarted and can go many miles before coming back.

Getting 3 amber lights on the dash. ABS, Stabilisation & Steering Wheel.

I’ve taken it for a diagnostic and stored codes show the Rear Left Sensor. The garage haven’t replaced it as they say this wouldn’t be the reason for the intermittent fault and it points towards a wire and they cannot see any damage under the car but it could be within the trim.

They have V scoped and say the sensors are all working as expected.

When the lights are active the reverse parking sensors are also not active but sometimes they continue to work. The car has park assist.

Any suggestion or ideas on what else to check?

Has anyone else had the same?
    Last edited by volksdub; 13-04-19 at 07:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, apart from Touran which I've added from this post.

What did you use to find these error codes?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

You need to post all error codes found.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apologies. Not updated any of the profile as it’s refusing on the mobile site. Will get that done later.

Car is a 2013 Touran 1.6TDI SE

Garage would have used VCDS I believe. But they have only told me they can see a fault as the NS Rear Speed Sensor.

But they are confident it isn’t the sensor at fault as the fault is intermittent and believe it could be related to wiring.

I guessed it would be hard to diagnose from that, just wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues. I’ve ordered the sensor and will fit myself and if that doesn’t fix it, which I’m guessing it won’t I will return in back to my local garage to try and see if they have any other faults showing.
    2018 Octavia VRS245 2.0, Petrol
    2003 Lupo GTI
    2013 Touran TDI? SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Would an ABS fault cause the rear parking sensors to stop working?

When looking for a new speed sensor for the rear ns. There were two options for them. Vehicles with park assist and vehicles without. What is the difference between them, are the sensors for vehicles with park assist more sensitive or something?
    2003 Lupo GTI
    2013 Touran TDI? SE

Post Thanks / Like
    This is often due to the magnetic pulse ring on the back of the wheel bearing breaking up.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    This is often due to the magnetic pulse ring on the back of the wheel bearing breaking up.
    Thanks for a reply

Is this part a wheel bearing change alongside it on the Touran?

Is it normal for a lights to turn off themselves while driving?
    2003 Lupo GTI
    2013 Touran TDI? SE

Post Thanks / Like
    It is part of the wheel bearing. Which light turns on and off?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is part of the wheel bearing. Which light turns on and off?
    The 3 Amber lights are ABS, Stabilisation and Steering Wheel which can come on at random times and also all disappear at random times while still driving. But they all come on together.
    2003 Lupo GTI
    2013 Touran TDI? SE

Post Thanks / Like
    ABS and EPC coming on together is common for a G201 pressure sensor fault but it does not come and go but the steering light gives me the impression of a failing battery, the EPAS is very sensitive to low voltage.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    ABS and EPC coming on together is common for a G201 pressure sensor fault but it does not come and go but the steering light gives me the impression of a failing battery, the EPAS is very sensitive to low voltage.
    Thanks for the reply.

Guessing that EPC is the same as ESP as it’s the ESP light on mine.

The garage fitted a new battery. It’s confusing as it’s off more than it’s on. I’ve completed 130 miles since collecting from them, after they did the diagnostics and changed the battery. The lights have come on twice. First time for around 1 min when driving and then they went out. I think the steering wheel went out after the other two. Second time they came on after I turned the traction control on and off manually. This time all lights stayed on till I stopped about 1 mile later and restarted the car and they were all off again.
    2003 Lupo GTI
    2013 Touran TDI? SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast