Thread: Loss of power when accelerating

Post Thanks / Like

Loss of power when accelerating

Hi Guys,

Recently purchased a 1997 Cabriolet 1.8 that seemed to be in really good condition.
    Turns out I was duped.

I am having an issue with loss of power, hesitation on acceleration causing the car to slow down dramatically and the car stalling whilst driving. Idle seems to hover around 10k.
    Having looked around on google and tried countless fixes I'm now lost on what to do so really looking for a little advice!

Everywhere I look suggests a Mass Air Flow sensor issue or a Crankshaft sensor issue however, as far as I can tell, these models don't have either?

I have checked all hoses to see if there is a loss of a vacuum but they all seem fine.
    I have put in a new air filter and oil filter and the problem still persists.
    I checked all electrical connections - cleaning them of any debris and also cleaned up my ground connections but again nothing has changed.

Today I took out the throttle body in an effort to clean any potential deposits.
    The throttle body looked relatively clean however the part on top of the throttle body (is this called the intake manifold?) had a fair bit of oil in it - which had bled down into the sensor located on the front of the throttle body. It also seems that this oily deposit is going into the intake boot and down the air intake hose from the air filter.
    After having attempted to clean all of this up I reassembled everything as was and unfortunately it now seems even worse.
    There is a hose coming off the right hand side of the intake boot that goes to the engine and this seems to have a big build up of oil and nasty deposits in too.

When disassembling the throttle body (and what I have assumed to be the intake manifold) it struck me that there didn't seem to be any gaskets on the components- just one from the air boot. Is this normal?

Has anybody had a similar issue and knows what the problem could be?
    Any light anyone could help me shed on this would be a huge help and I would be eternally greatful.

Also, I have no lights coming on and currently no VAG for reading codes.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no engine warning light on these and the code storing abilities are pretty basic on what I expect would be an ABS code engine. Your symptoms are indicative of a falling in tank fuel pump, I had this on a tin top version of yours only a few weeks ago plus also change the fuel filter with the pump, I am still seeing cars of this age with the factory fitted original.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Thanks austinwolfgang thanked for this post
    Likes austinwolfgang liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    There is no engine warning light on these and the code storing abilities are pretty basic on what I expect would be an ABS code engine. Your symptoms are indicative of a falling in tank fuel pump, I had this on a tin top version of yours only a few weeks ago plus also change the fuel filter with the pump, I am still seeing cars of this age with the factory fitted original.
    Thank you for the reply.

Oh really? I never even thought of that to be honest! I was so convinced it was going to be an air issue that I didn't consider a fuel issue.
    Is the point I made about there being no gaskets on and a bit of oil in the throttle body a non-issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    They do pull a little oil from the crankcase ventilation system, that is normal.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

6. Thanks austinwolfgang thanked for this post
    Likes austinwolfgang liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    They do pull a little oil from the crankcase ventilation system, that is normal.
    Thank you for your help mate, I really appreciate it.
    I'll try a fuel pump and filter change and report back once finished