Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Golf M7.5] Assymetric steering force/return

Post Thanks / Like

[Golf M7.5] Assymetric steering force/return

Hi all!

This is my first post! I drive an Mk7.5 R-Line 150 HP, brought new from VW 6 months ago. Very happy with it, DSG is amazing, something I have been waiting long to have, but (there is a but) since then, I am dealing with this issue the dealer doesn’t seem to solve.

Problem is that steering shows an asymmetric resistance and return force. Let me explain a bit better:

- When I turn the wheel to the right and I leave it, return brings it to the central position; it I do that the other way around, steering to the left and then leave the wheel, return force leaves the wheel around 6 – 10 degrees out of centre position.

- It presents more stiffness turning right than left.

- With level surface and cantered wheel, the car keeps straight.

- The dealer checked the alignment and it was fine, no DTC recorded.

Since I am losing faith in the dealer, I would like to take it to another garage so they can take a look to torque sensor and zero angle calibrations (in that regards, Park Pilot drawn trajectory seems to confirm good zero angle calibration), some other stuff on the steering rack, or something related to the active return or straight line features.., I don´t know… So please, if any of you guys have any clue or suggestion, that would be highly appreciated.

Cheers!

/R

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a castor figure?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, +7.19 left, +7.14 right.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t check that until tomorrow but from memory it is fine. I had a Passat do this to me a few months ago and it was a coding error in the ABS ECU caused by installing a new convenience unit.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher, any clue, idea, parameter/sensor to check or whatever else will be appreciated.

PS: caster figures were green in the dealer report...

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardo View Post
    Thanks Crasher, any clue, idea, parameter/sensor to check or whatever else will be appreciated.

PS: caster figures were green in the dealer report...
    You would need VCDS.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    And what would be your checking points that could affect that asymmetric behaviour?

- Steering torque sensor.
    - Steering wheel angle.
    - Acceleration / yaw sensors, in case they affect via ESP corrections?
    - ?
    2018 Golf R-Line 1.5, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody, guys?

Post Thanks / Like
    A few weeks ago I had a Passat that pulled because the ABS unit had the wrong coding value after I fitted a new central convenience unit, yeh, I know, confused me as well.... and that was to fix windscreen washers that did not work, £900 to fix your screen washers, ****** stupid!

Vile Invention

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast