Thread: Rough idle problem - 2003 Polo 1.2

Post Thanks / Like

Rough idle problem - 2003 Polo 1.2

Hi everyone our Polo has a rough idle, which I assumed would be fixed by new spark plugs but I changed these at the weekend and it has made no difference at all

The amber engine light was coming on and off, but is now on all the time

It is a 2003 MK4 Polo E 1.2 petrol

The car only does short distances which could have caused an issue? (although no EGR valve on the 6v model, thanks Pete1 for pointing out in previous post)

Thanks for reading, and for any suggestions which we could try to resolve
    2003 Polo 1.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Whereabouts are you based mate?
    Could do with hooking it up to VCDS to see what codes are associated with the warning light. If you're anywhere near me I'd be happy to help.
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poloroid View Post
    Hi everyone our Polo has a rough idle, which I assumed would be fixed by new spark plugs but I changed these at the weekend and it has made no difference at all

The amber engine light was coming on and off, but is now on all the time

It is a 2003 MK4 Polo E 1.2 petrol

The car only does short distances which could have caused an issue? (although no EGR valve on the 6v model, thanks Pete1 for pointing out in previous post)

Thanks for reading, and for any suggestions which we could try to resolve
    It would be good if you could get it scanned for codes. If it has individual coil pack one of them is likely to be faulty. But scanning might save you money!
    2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, BLP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    Whereabouts are you based mate?
    Could do with hooking it up to VCDS to see what codes are associated with the warning light. If you're anywhere near me I'd be happy to help.
    Thanks for your kind offer Pete1, unfortunately we are based in Cornwall so probably a bit far to travel.

I think the garage will plug us in for about 30 so sounds like this is the best place to start

Thanks lemta, all for saving money on this repair!
    Last edited by Poloroid; 16-04-19 at 22:17.
    2003 Polo 1.2

Post Thanks / Like
    OK so just got back from garage with fault codes;

16804 - catalyst system bank 1 operation below threshold po240
    16687 - cylinder 3 misfire detected p0303 intermittent
    16556 - fuel trim bank system too rich po172 - intermittent

And they said they recommend new coil pack on cylinder 2..
    2003 Polo 1.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Presumably that was meant to say cylinder 3?

Worth trying a coilpack, but if that doesn't change things, the next step is usually a compression test.
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    Presumably that was meant to say cylinder 3?
    Sorry yes meant cylinder 3

Thanks Pete1
    2003 Polo 1.2

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be a worn valve guide which has burnt out the exhaust valve, standard fare on this engine and I have seen it on ones as low as 28K miles.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

9. Thanks Poloroid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just have an update on this one..

Changed coil pack today on cylinder 3 and car seems to be running better. Idling smoother, although car seems to be lacking power.

Did a compression test too and got some dodgy results;

Cylinder 1 - Initial reading of 6, highest reading 14.
    Cylinder 2 - Initial reading 6, highest reading 8.5.
    Cylinder 3 - Initial reading 5/6, highest reading 6.5.

If the issue is valve guide / exhaust valve there's no way I could fix..

I was thinking about getting a used cylinder head and having it refurbished, ready to switch into the car
    2003 Polo 1.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Take the head off and get a local engineering company to fit new guides and exhaust valves and build the head back up for you, my local engineers are very experienced at this, we throw quite a few at them. Busy yourself with taking the sump off and rebuilding with a timing chain kit in the meantime. Don’t neglect upgrading the oil seal bushing parts if your cars VIN is pre wvwzzz9Nz3Y030793
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: