Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Touran 1.9 TDi, Diesel leaking into engine oil & starting issues w/75% fuel

Post Thanks / Like

2005 Touran 1.9 TDi, Diesel leaking into engine oil & starting issues w/75% fuel

Hello,
    I have a 2005 Touran 1.9 TDI with 330,000 km and an engine that is playing games with me.

Me now thinks it's the Tandem pump or injectors or....

Last year I started having occasional issues starting the car after it sat overnight. It would start but after 30-45 seconds of turning over, and yes it was not a continual turning over engine. It was 5 to 7 turning over sessions and each time I would turn rotate the key all the way counter clock wise so I could make sure the fuel pump could do it's work. Some times it would only happen once a month or even once every other month. Within the last 7 months it started to get more frequent until two months ago it was every night, unless I just filled the fuel tank. Then it was okay, no matter how many days it sat before starting.

I got it figured out that if the fuel tank is 75% full then there is no issue sitting over night. Below 75% full, if left overnight it will not start and a 30-45 seconds of starting will get it started.

Weeks ago I noticed that my oil level is higher than it should as I have not added oil. I changed the oil and filter and drove it, and then I noticed blue smoke from the exhaust at times. Not all the time and not even during speeding up. Some times at idle more smoke then at higher speeds. I then notice the oil level rising again. Coolant levels are normal and not dropping so I'm quite sure it fuel getting into the oil. I stopped driving it.

I've read that the Tandem pump might be the issue for the fuel/oil coming together, might it also be losing it's vacuum and causing the fuel to loose it's pressure/vacuum and not allowing me start properly? I'm ready to change out the Tandem pump but first wanted to post this to get ideas and advice.

I've also read that the fuel/oil issue might be the injectors. Can someone give me some ideas as to where to start. If I took off the valve cover to look at the injectors, do I need to replace the gasket?

Thanks,
    David
    2005 Touran 1.9 TDI-PD 105PS, Engine BKC, 7 seats

Post Thanks / Like
    When was the fuel filter last changed? They should be don't every 20,000 miles.

There was a thread Crasher added a comment I've searched for that thread but I can't see his comment about the fuel filter being black means you have to replace the tandem pump.

This one is close. very hard to start when cold and cutting out

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is the tandem pump, usually the fuel filter will be heavily contaminated with oil but oil fuel in the oil on the 8 valve engine is often worn injector seats in the head.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the reply, fuel filter was changed 4870 miles ago back in October. At the time I was only having issues starting the car so I changed out the filter hoping that would help. Did not notice any dark color in the filter at the time that I am aware of.

Question, can the Tandem pump leak both directions? Fuel getting into the oil at the same time oil getting into the fuel causing exhaust to have blue smoke at times? Or is it primarily one direction leaking fuel into the oil due to fuel being at higher pressure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Crasher, is my 1.9 TDi BKC engine a 8 Valve engine? Also are the seats the metal portion or can new injector seals fix it?
    Last edited by macdavid51; 19-04-19 at 19:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is an 8v, the steel injector bodies fret against the ally head bore, excessive wear means a new head

2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    If it is the tandem pump, usually the fuel filter will be heavily contaminated with oil but oil fuel in the oil on the 8 valve engine is often worn injector seats in the head.
    I read your post a while back and I've search for tandem pump and the closest thread is the one I've posted. Can you please post the other thread about the fuel filter being black which you said you need a new tandem pump.

Cheer
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the next couple days I will take a look at the injectors. If there is a fault in the injector world, what, or how will I, or can I do, to tell if that is so. Also once I take off the valve cover, should I or need to replace the gasket?

I will also take a look at the filter and check for signs of oil, black.

Thanks, and I'll get back to you all.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I replaced the Tandem pump last week and I cleaned out the EGR and butterfly valve (very dirty). A couple days after that I notice that the smoking has greatly decreased with some at times but not to the amounts it would previously. Again the smoking would only happen at times and sometimes at idle and sometimes speeding up in 2 or 3rd gear. I monitored the oil level and it was slowly rising so diesel is still getting into the oil.

I've also noticed that when the car sits over night it starts up just fine. Before if left overnight it would not start until 40 some seconds of turning over.

Today I put in the fuel filter 8ml Toralin UV dye and ran the car for 60 seconds at 2000-3000rmp. Opened up the valve cover and only saw a faint sign of UV dye on everything. No one injector showing signs of leaking past the gaskets. Did I run the car too long, should I have ran it for 30 seconds?

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    You should not see any sign at all of the dye in the oil from being added to the fuel, I suspect you have fuel leaking past the injectors. If they are removed and refitted, you MUST replace their seals and the hold down wedge bolts.

Vile Invention

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast