Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake discs for 1.9 Tdi

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this is going to be relevant or indeed helpful but the company I used way back (NW England) is now stocking Bremtech discs. I have never heard of them but I am told that they have had no returns for any reason and I trust these folk as I bought a lot of stuff from them. He has said in his opinion Brembo make a "cracking caliper" but he isn't convinced with the discs. He admitted that his MD has a deal to stock Bremtech but that is more than likely to simply be a marketing ploy on their part.

Just been outside in the rain to look at my Golf which has been sitting for several days and the discs are coated with surface rust. In the 17 years which I owned a pristine Accord I don't ever remember seeing that amount of contamination and it was also used lightly.

My wife's UP is now left without the handbrake on at night simply because the lurch and crack of the rear shoes releasing (has to be reverse) from seizing to the drums frightens her.
    VW brake metal / materials - or are all cars like this now?
    Last edited by Sam&Anne; 30-04-19 at 10:29.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    The regulations on materials used in brakes have stipulated reduced additives in the iron to prevent dust related pollution. The real sketch is coming with electric cars, it is not unknown for a Nissan Leaf to need new discs and pads at each MOT due to lack of use because of regenerative braking. Manufacturers are going to have to come up with a cost effective corrosion proof brake concept that is more affordable than ceramic and more reliable than the Lotus aluminium system which they gave up on.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Thanks Sam&Anne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be fair to say that I am probably too old for this forum and indeed too old for this New World.
    However the maniacal compulsion to introduce driverless cars and electric vehicles as soon as possible without either of them apparently being thought through in fine detail I can see ending in tears.
    I know technology has to start somewhere and initially there were men walking with a flag in front of a horseless carriage but there were very few of those machines on the roads compared to today.

Did I inhale excessive amounts of asbestos dust in my brake fitting room in the 60's and 70's?
    Most likely yes but I have a feeling if I live more than a handful of years I am more likely to be struck a fatal glancing blow from an exploding battery in a Leaf in M&S car park rather than be done for by asbestos dust.

Off topic rant over - the old scroat is off to his forum with the distinct aroma of Castrol R in his nostrils. Splendid.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.

5. Likes Crasher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Brembo ones are painted black on the bell if I remember correctly?

Yes and outer edge .

But I've completely bomb proofed them by spraying with black Hammerite Smooth .

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the pad surface?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Not the pad surface?
    Slap me down as necessary lads but I have lost the logic of painting the friction surface.
    Am I missing something vital?
    One brake application will remove the paint, hammerite or otherwise.
    It is the pad surface which will rust given a misty day, let alone a decent wash or shower of rain.
    I am happy to be enlightened.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping he hadn’t... We sell Black Diamond performance discs and these have a black coating over the entire disc but obviously this comes off immediately as does the silver Dacromet coating on Pagid discs but that is the intention so the swept area looks after itself and the other stays nice for a reasonable time.

f

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes EBC Redstuff 'brake in' surface will take care of the paint .

The unswept areas won't see rust

Post Thanks / Like
    Smoothrite is a bit sticky for that, I worry you will contaminate the pads permanently so I use weld through zinc primer with just a little overspray onto the wipped surfaces so easily, and drily rubbed off. Smoothrite has a maximum running temp of 150 degrees Centigrade so as long as you don’t drive the car it will be fine.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Did it nearly 6 years ago no issues .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12