Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake discs for 1.9 Tdi

Post Thanks / Like

Brake discs for 1.9 Tdi

I've got a Golf Plus 1.9 TDI 2006 year
    I need to change the front & rear discs & get some new pads fitted too
    Are they 288 x 25mm front discs? I'm thinking that there's wear sensors on the pads?
    I see that 2 sizes are listed for the rear - would it be 253 x 10mm for the TDI?

(Ill get the wheels off this week to confirm)
    What are the better brands to go for? Pagid, Mintex etc?
    2006 Golf Plus 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    288 front, 253 rear and yes the front left has a wear sensor. We only fit Pagid and we never get any issues.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    For higher quality fit Brembo .

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found Brembo discs to be very susceptible to corrosion on cars used lightly but their pads are excellent.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    What part of the disc brake suffers corrosion ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    What part of the disc brake suffers corrosion ?
    The complete friction surface on my O/E discs due to light use.
    I remember competition mates using Brembo discs with many long breaks between races also exhibited the same issues.
    To be fair there wasn't a great choice in my time but I always used AP products and don't recall anyone coming back to me.
    Lots of choices nowadays but better??
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Funnily enough, AP Racing is now owned by Brembo. Anyway, it is the rear face of the disc that seems to suffer, now they coat the bells they don't look ugly so quickly any more.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll see how I get on as I've 4 discs to go on .

Post Thanks / Like
    Brembo ones are painted black on the bell if I remember correctly?

Vile Invention

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast