Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat airbag deployed when clearing codes

Post Thanks / Like

Seat airbag deployed when clearing codes

Hello, I have an 01 Golf 1.6 mk4 that had airbag light on, so I read the codes and was ground connection in driver side, tried clearing them and they just reappeared so I removed the seat for inspection and found that the 3 cables were already “fixed” so I thought that maybe with time they broke again so looking well at the colors of each cable and all that I reconnected each one together and covered them with heat shrink tube. I went to clear the codes, and when I put ignition on, airbag light was gone for 2 sec and then boom!

What did I do wrong here? ��

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post.

What did you use to scan for error codes and erase them?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello keithuk, sorry for not introducing myself I’m not too used to forums, only to look through threads, I’m gonna publish an introduction right now.
    01 Golf 1.6 16v

Post Thanks / Like
    This was a rare but known issue with the Golf 4 and it should have the revised controller, which fault code reader did you use and what is the controller part number? Ross Tech who produce VCDS got so jumpy about it that they put safeguards in the scan to try and prevent it and still VCDS gets jumpy if the ECU doesn't communicate readily on ANY car. I imagine you need a change of underwear after this happened...
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Lmao for a second I was happy I thought it was working but my arm didn’t felt so happy 0.5 second later well I used Ross vcds connected by a cable bought on amazon...
    My electronic teacher says that you don’t have to solder/heat shrink car electronic installation because it changes the wire resistance thus giving the control unit bad information.
    Last edited by Erwin23p; 08-05-19 at 19:39. Reason: spelling mistake
    01 Golf 1.6 16v

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the diagnostic I did before "fixing":
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	6626
    Basically it says: "airbag power circuit side, driver side, ground connection" and the second code is because my battery was bad at the moment
    Now that my seat is blown, this is the full diagnostic from Vcds, thanks to this I know I have some other issues I didn't know before.
    Log-Log.txt
    Last edited by Erwin23p; 09-05-19 at 00:26.
    01 Golf 1.6 16v

Post Thanks / Like
    That isn't VCDS, it is Bosch ESItronic.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the picture diagnostic was done by a professional but the .txt was done by the same computer and cable that the one I erased the airbag code with.
    01 Golf 1.6 16v

Post Thanks / Like
    As said that picture is Bosch ESItronic but the log file appears to be VCDS.

VAG Error Code: 01274

Fault Location:
    Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71) - No or Incorrect Basic Setting/Adaptation/Blocked or No Voltage/Lower Limit Exceeded/Mechanical Failure/Faulty

Possible Cause:
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Positioning Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71) blocked.
    Positioning Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71) faulty.
    Check mechanical condition of components.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Check Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Perform Output Test.
    Perform Basic Setting.

VAG Error Code: 01217

Fault Location:
    Side Airbag Igniter: Front Drivers Side (N199) - Resistance too High/Upper Limit Exceeded/Short Circuit to Earth/Positive

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Airbag Warning Lamp (K75) ON.

Fuse(s).
    Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Side Airbag Igniter, Driver Side (N199) faulty.
    Side Airbag Igniter, Front Driver Side (N199) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuse(s).
    Check/Replace Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Side Airbag Igniter, Front Drivers Side (N199).
    Check Side Airbag Igniter, Front Drivers Side (N199) faulty.

Special Notes:
    When found in the North American Region (NAR) '05 -> '07 Jetta, Rabbit, Eos and Passat, Please See Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 69-08-02 / 2011271.
    When "short to positive" or "short to earth" is found, DO NOT CLEAR THE Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). This can cause the airbag to deploy. See repair manual for more information.

VAG Error Code: 00953

Fault Location:
    Interior Light Time Limit - Unknown Switch Condition

Possible Cause:
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Interior Light(s) and/or Light Bulbs faulty.
    Door Rotary Switches stiff/faulty.
    Interior light, reading lights and luggage compartment connections defective.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Interior Light(s) and/or Light Bulbs.
    Check Door Rotary Switches.

VAG Error Code: 00912

Fault Location:
    Window Regulator Switch: Front Left (E40) - Open Circuit/Short Circuit to Earth/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Fuse(s).
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Button installation not OK, sticks when operated.
    Window Regulator Switch: Front Left (E40) stuck.
    Window Regulator Switch: Front Left (E40) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuse(s).
    Check Window Regulator Switch: Front Left (E40).
    Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) for Plausibility. Display group number 002.
    Check button.

VAG Error Code: 00913

Fault Location:
    Window Regulator Switch: Front Right Drivers (E81) - Open Circuit/Short Circuit to Earth/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Fuse(s).
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Button installation not OK, sticks when operated.
    Window Regulator Switch: Front Right Driver (E81) stuck.
    Window Regulator Switch: Front Right Driver (E81) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuse(s).
    Check Window Regulator Switch: Front Right Driver (E81).
    Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) for Plausibility. Display group number 002.
    Check button.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cables should not be soldered, if the seat harness is damaged it must be replaced with a new part.

Vile Invention

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast