Thread: 2012 - Passat - Airbag Error - 01228

Post Thanks / Like

Question 2012 - Passat - Airbag Error - 01228

Hi there,

I just bought a used car about 3 weeks ago and last week I got an airbag warning error 01228 http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01228 I have been able to fix it by clearing the code & turning off the airbag, disconnecting & reconnecting the yellow connector on the passenger side & turning back on the airbag, but it keeps coming back on. I asked a VW dealer about it and the diagnostics was €140 alone & they said they'd advise me not to be driving the car as I could be putting my or my passengers life at risk. Do you guys have any idea on what the issue most likely is? How much it would cost to fix the issue?

Thanks,

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked to see if the switch is plugged in?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Have you checked to see if the switch is plugged in?
    Hi there,

In terms of? I the yellow plug is plugged back in & I used the airbag key to switch the airbag on again. Also, I cleared the error code so it’s not displaying the airbag error at the moment. I am just worried the airbag won’t deploy if someone is in the seat? Also, the error will come back on again.

Thanks,

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    If the light is off, everything is OK.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Clearing error codes only clears the ecu memory, you still have to fix the problem.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Daspendy, I've had the same problem with my passat I've had it in to my local VW dealer and it turns out that the switch to immobilise the front passenger airbag is faulty I'm having a new switch fitted tomorrow.
    2013 Passat Estate BlueMotion Sport 2.0 TDI-CR 170PS, DSG, Engine Code: CFGB, Urano Grey

7. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by exsaabman View Post
    Hi Daspendy, I've had the same problem with my passat I've had it in to my local VW dealer and it turns out that the switch to immobilise the front passenger airbag is faulty I'm having a new switch fitted tomorrow.

Hi All, Just wondering if fitting a new switch was a solution to this??

Regards
    2012 CC 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt it airbag switch . I have same airbag problem from time to time . This all about bad connections under seats . Check them on both sides under seats from connectors to bottom seat. Clear faults using my mobile. This is common problem with VW.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a common problem with the PQ35 and 46 platform, i.e. Golf 1K/5K and Passat 3C/36