Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castrol professional oil is it worth iti?

Post Thanks / Like

Castrol professional oil is it worth iti?

Hi all,
    My 2018 Golf 1.5 petrol, blue motion, is up for service. When I booked in the salesman said that i could have "Castrol Professional" for an extra 28. "Gives better protection, more miles per gallon, flies you to the moon ya de ya..."

Does anyone know the facts? What oil would i get otrherwise from a main VWdealer?

Is it worth it?
    Z
    Last edited by ZeroZero; 14-05-19 at 10:23.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero View Post
    Hi all,
    My 2018 Golf 1.5 petrol, blue motion, is up for service. When I booked in the salesman said that i could have "Castrol Professional" for an extra 28. "Gives better protection, more miles per gallon, flies you to the moon ya de ya..."

Does anyone know the facts? What oil would i get otrherwise from a main VWdealer?

Is it worth it?
    Z

5 litres of Castrol Professional 5w 30 which meets VW507.00 currently sells for 35 on amazon - simple take in your own oil
    2013 Touran 1.6 TDI-CR, CAYC 7 Speed DSG LHD

Post Thanks / Like
    SO, go and buy it for 35 instead on 28? Does not make sense. I am asking if the oil they supply as "standard" (which is apparently not as good as the 'recommended' oil, is, and if there is a difference..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero View Post
    SO, go and buy it for 35 instead on 28? Does not make sense. I am asking if the oil they supply as "standard" (which is apparently not as good as the 'recommended' oil, is, and if there is a difference..

An extra 28 would infer in addition to their price - I stated 35 for 5 litres, not an additional 35 but a total amount of 35. It’s a no brainer - but then for you maybe it is?

the only difference with professional is that it has a dye added during the blending process. This enables castrol to certify that the oil was changed at a workshop. This is now a mute point as professional is now available to the general public.
    Last edited by DavidPugh; 14-05-19 at 12:29.
    2013 Touran 1.6 TDI-CR, CAYC 7 Speed DSG LHD

Post Thanks / Like
    For clarity. I am talking about a service plan which I have already paid for, but they want me to spend an extra 28 on top of the price to get Castrol Professional Oil. FYI Castrol Pro is the "recommended" oil on the VW website, but apparently not what they supply by default for a service at CityGate main dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know more about this oil? Does it save fuel?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is called "up-selling", the new 0w/30's do provide a tiny reduction in fuel consumption but you would struggle to measure it.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    As I thought crasher.... (like the sig) any hard facts or comparisons available?

Post Thanks / Like
    What's their usual oil ?

Definitely upselling , I've bought 5L of 504.00 507.00 for as little as 6 !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    What's their usual oil ?
    I thought you guys could tell me. It's city gate in Watford up to these tricks. I would have thought the "recommended" oil, would be what is sued, but obviously not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast