Thread: TPS Error / P0121 Help?

Post Thanks / Like

TPS Error / P0121 Help?

Hey all, I have a 2011 MK6 Golf 2.0 TDI and need help if anybody can?

So I have the Emissions Control/Engine Management light on. I've taken it to the garage and they plugged it into a VCDS i'm assuming. They didn't give me the full details, however they did write down the following;

P0121 - Throttle Position Sensor, implausible signal, short to plus.

They told me that the light is on due to the TPS, and said that to fix it, I should replace the accelerator pedal. I've been looking around the web and most others are saying that the TPS itself should be replaced rather than just the accelerator pedal? Is there any way i could check this?

I've also another issue with the start/stop. When I put the car in neutral and remove my foot from the clutch pedal, so that the engine turns off at traffic lights, a message pops up saying "Engine fault - take to workshop" and the Glow Plug light begins blinking. The car also won't start when i put the clutch back in. I have to manually restart the car. However this doesn't seem to affect performance, or go into limp mode.

I have told the garage about this, but they did not come back with any information regarding the issue, and they said the only code stored is P0121

Post Thanks / Like
    A common fault, the pedal is a complete unit that is virtually just clipped to the floor and it gets wet.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Thanks jeo, Keithuk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

VAG Error Code: 16505/5286/000289
    EOBD II Error Code: P0121

Fault Location:
    Throttle Position Sensor (G69) - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Poor engine performance.

Accelerator cable adjustment.
    Throttle position sensor (G69).
    Wiring/Connector(s)/Wiring Harness issue.
    Failed Throttle Body.
    Failed Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Throttle Position Sensor 1 - Throttle Position Sensor 2 > 6.30%.
    Actual Throttle Position Sensor 1 calculated value > Throttle Position Sensor 2 calculated value.
    Throttle Position Sensor 1 calculated value > 9.00%.
    Test wiring as per Factory Repair Manual

Special Notes:
    For some vehicles, there may be a Technical Product Information (TPI) with instructions on replacing the terminals for the throttle body.
    Some Engine Control Module (ECM)s may have a firmware update to address this issue during cold weather.
    The component identifier Throttle Position Sensor (G69) may be Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187) per the wiring diagrams for the vehicle in question.

When is the code detected?:
    Malfunction is detected when an excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
    The throttle position sensor responds to the accelerator pedal movement. This sensor is a kind of potentiometer which transforms the throttle position into output voltage, and emits the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In addition, the sensor detects the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM).

Idle position of the throttle valve is determined by the Engine Control Module (ECM) receiving the signal from the throttle position sensor. This sensor controls engine operation such as fuel cut. On the other hand, the Wide open and closed throttle position switch, which is built into the throttle position sensor unit, is not used for engine control.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

5. Thanks jeo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Crasher Thanks for the reply. Yeah it doesn't seem too great, especially with the UK weather. I've ordered a new pedal, guess i'll see how it goes.
    2011 Golf 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    @Keithuk Apologies for that, I didn't realise Appreciate the detailed information, can see that it could be one of many problems, which isn't too good. I'll see how the new pedal goes else I guess it'll be going back into the garage to be looked at again.
    2011 Golf 2.0 TDI-CR