Thread: Dazed and Confused

Post Thanks / Like

Dazed and Confused

Good evening folks from the wilds of my soul. I was really hoping for some advice to stop this torment I've been suffering since last Saturday.
    I have seen a 2011 Tiguan Match 2.0 TDI for sale for 7300. It has had the timing belt changed and a brand new clutch and flywheel fitted. My dilemma

is that it has 99000 miles on it and has been raising such questions as...
    Mileage high?
    Why a new clutch so soon?
    Timing belt a bit early?
    I have to get this right because the car has to last for at least four more years as I have limited funds. I don't mind running it into the ground but I average 17000
    miles a year so....the big question, would it be worth it? I'd really appreciate some advice on this as I have scoured the internet with no real satisfactory conclusion
    one way or the other. Thank you so much for your time. I hope to be a regular soon, depending on your sage advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Timing belt every five years so late for its first or early for its second although VW officially say every 120k miles or so but that is nerve wracking. The clutch is about right, back when I was starting 40 years ago a clutch would last 40k ish, but take 3 hours to change and cost 150.... not 1200 and a day or more. 99k is nothing BUT if you are going to need to take it inside any of the upcoming Toxicity ULEV zones, then a Diesel will shoot you in the foot. You need to research where you live and where you go, I saw them putting the cameras in around Nottingham at a major junction last week.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Timing belt every five years so late for its first or early for its second although VW officially say every 120k miles or so but that is nerve wracking. The clutch is about right, back when I was starting 40 years ago a clutch would last 40k ish, but take 3 hours to change and cost 150.... not 1200 and a day or more. 99k is nothing BUT if you are going to need to take it inside any of the upcoming Toxicity ULEV zones, then a Diesel will shoot you in the foot. You need to research where you live and where you go, I saw them putting the cameras in around Nottingham at a major junction last week.

Hi Crasher, I really appreciate the advice. Is there anything else I should look out for? I am assuming they would have replaced the tensioner with the timing belt as I had read there was a known fault with them. The car is absolutely immaculate. It doesn't mention a satnav but I'm assuming the 2011 Match has one? If so, will it be possible to update maps? As for the ULEV, I will certainly check that out. Again, thank you so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much Crasher. Is there anything else I should look out for? I'm assuming the tensioner will have been sorted with the timing belt change as I know it was a known fault. The car is immaculate but no mention of a satnav so I assume this model (2011 Match) doesn't have it. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    The key point is replacing the tensioner stud, it is this 1 part that fails, not the tensioner itself.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.