Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPF Health?

Post Thanks / Like

DPF Health?

Good afternoon folks. I'm looking at a 2011 Tiguan 2.0 TDI. Having never owned a diesel before I am new to the world of DPF. Is there any way for a layman like me to check how healthy the DPF is while examining the car before I buy? Much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    2011 Tiguan Match 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to have the engines computer measuring blocks read out for Soot loading and Ash Mass. Be cautious about buying a non EU6 Diesel if you live in or have to go into any of the forthcoming T zones. I found out today Nottingham's has been binned.... for now until they see how much money other councils are going to make. Try and find out if it has had the emissions recall done, hopefully not!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Crasher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked and it turns out the car was recalled it had the software update applied, so as a result, I think I'll have to walk away for good. Thanks again for saving me money and disappointment. The search continues....

Post Thanks / Like
    How did you find out if it had been recalled? I'd like to do the same.
    2014 Golf BlueMotion 1.6 TDI-CR, DSG

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Phew! This is exhausting! (No pun intended!) I've been to see 3 other Tiguans this morning and they've all had the software "fix". So sad. I really had my heart set on one but I think I'm going to have to look elsewhere. Ah well...

Post Thanks / Like
    It can be reversed with an aftermarket remap but care should be taken by who as the DPF can react badly to an over enthusiastic remap. On the 2L CR TDI the recall remap doesn’t appear to have had the catastrophic consequences that it has on the 1.6. Over the last few days I have had in a 2011 Golf 6 1.6 CRTDI (CAYC engine) with some odd fault codes and it needed an MOT. During the MOT it stopped and would not start so they tugged it back up here. Immediately we could hear it had no compression so we knew the manifold flap would be shut so fitted a new inlet manifold throttle body (confusingly no longer called the V157, now known as the J338 ) and the car started. The fault codes suggested the EGR function and some wire routing be checked plus carry out a software update. The EGR valve was new by us just under 4 years ago and it has not had the recall done on my advice. The EGR tests were carried out without a problem and the wiring checks showed no problem but we did notice the inlet manifold flap (called V157… just to confuse) was jammed shut as you have to remove the motor. We fitted the updated manifold which deletes the flap and ultrasonic bathed the link pipe plus cleaned out the head. A long road test gave no issues. Next morning the owner was coming to pick it up so I did a quick road test and it almost immediately went into limp mode. I crawled back and the EGR codes had come back, there was no way I was doing the software update as that would have done the 23R7 update so I took the plunge and fitted a new EGR valve again and that solved the issue so that is the first I have had to replace that I have already done before, 3 and a number months is not good enough but VW are not interested so with the number of CAYC’s out there with the recall and new EGR colliers I can see another wave of these failures coming. Interestingly VAG now offer a recon EGR unit for 50 less but TPS don’t like stocking them because of the nasty dirty job of dealing with exchange, "eeyeww I've got my fingers dirty"…. poor darlings!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have access to VAG-COM\VCDS you can check the soot content and how many times its done a regen.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thnks guys. I'm in a real bind. I love the idea of the Tiguan but all of this EA189 is really putting me off. Did it negatively affect every car that got the software fix and do you know of any that successfully recovered after a remap? Just on that, how much would a remap cost? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast