Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlamp height actuator/motor

Post Thanks / Like

Headlamp height actuator/motor

Does anybody now how to remove the headlamp level actuator. Car just failed MOT and VW agent quoted 205 for the job. I can remove the rubber cap and see the motor but It won't pull out? Any ideas?
    2015 Golf GT 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't tell you off hand without looking what ElsaWin says or Google this.

Maybe Crasher knows.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Likes voxpop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Keithuk. I managed to order a 2nd hand unit from ebay (20) a new VW headlamp level actuator is 149, I just can't see how it pulls out, unless it's just tight?. If anyone knows I would be grateful. Crazy cost considering I have never needed to use this feature and it's just for MOT compliance.
    2015 Golf GT 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you you have HID lights?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    No Crasher - I just have standard lights ( it's the OSF - although I don't think that matters)
    2015 Golf GT 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    If the beam is set and the dip wheel set on zero I can't see why it is a fail, I will ask my MOT chap.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't remember five years ago in England what my local MOT chap did for 33 years but I know for sure here that a rather unsubtle excuse is made to stick a head through the drivers window to check what the adjusting wheel is set at. It has to be zero while the lights are on and being inspected.

Very strict here in huge imposing MOT centres, not for the feint of heart or shallow of pocket.

Raising the beams to a more acceptable setting (while still within courtesy levels) after passing the MOT is easy and manageable with the adjustment wheel as and when necessary.
    Last edited by Sam&Anne; 03-06-19 at 18:51.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

9. Thanks voxpop thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I did wonder. He said the beam was fine...I presume he meant it was in line. But he said the Switch Motor ( that sets it high/low - presumably for heavy loads and caravans) had to be operational?. Move the wheel inside the car and the motor runs on the N/S but not the offside?
    2015 Golf GT 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a quick check, super picky but it is the testers book.

4.1.5 Levelling devices

Make sure any manual headlamp levelling devices (driver controls) work by:

1. switching on the dipped beam headlamps
    2. operating the manual levelling device
    3. checking that the headlamp beams move up and down

If he know anything about it's removal I would be grateful
    2015 Golf GT 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Here the manual levelling device has to be working on both lamps with the beams set correctly and I suspect it is the same with you folk as per your "testers book" otherwise it is a fail.
    Getting it to work is another story but doubtless the help you need will not be far away.
    Last edited by Sam&Anne; 03-06-19 at 19:11.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

13. Thanks voxpop thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast