Thread: 1966 1300 as a daily driver? Am I being unrealistic?

Post Thanks / Like

1966 1300 as a daily driver? Am I being unrealistic?

Hi everyone, basically Iíve got a merc estate that is expensive to fuel, repair, insure and essentially keep going on a daily basis. Itís nice, fast and comfy but my pockets arenít deep enough for it anymore...

I also have a solid 1966 type 1, 1300 cc single port, converted to 12v thatís in a million bits mid resto at the moment.

Just canvassing option as to whether I will kill my 53 year old bug if I flick the merc and try to use it as a daily driver in the UK? I donít cover that many miles but sheís an old lady now!

Plan would be to get her back to her former glory, make any Ďmoderní updates (disc front brakes / rear if possible, drop spindles, heating?) and roll her out for the school / Tesco run daily.

Got to be a good idea? Right? Or will half century old components not take the strain?

Convince me either way, itís been over 20 years since Iíve had a type 1 so maybe Iím having a midlife crisis and itís a really bad idea!!

Thoughts on a postcard!

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post.

Crasher is the classic Beetle expert wait until he reads this post.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s a BIG question! Without some serious changes I could not cope with my 1302LS auto as a daily driver, the fuel costs would be unbearable. A 66 as a daily...... well I would have to build it in a very high tech way with rack power steering, servo brakes with vented front discs and solid rears, AC, 5 speed with trailing arms and a 2 litre injection engine but it would still leave me worried sick about not having ABS which I think is just about impossible. I know I can do it on my 1302 by using the late 1303 front suspension and steering as it gives the important feature of negative roll radius geometry. Even “built” to the ultimate spec a torsion bar type 1 daily in today’s traffic.... no way...!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there

Apologies Keithuk, didn't mean to be rude...let me put £50 behind the virtual bar, grab a drink and pull up a seat!

I'm Oldlaney, a mid 40's '66 type 1 owner in the south near Brighton. 25 years ago I used to run a '74 1300 flat screen, had another '72 1300 and then I saw the '66 in Autotrader back in the mid 90's. The reason I bought it was its origin...the number plate meant it was locally registered to Brighton where my Dad was a VW salesman in the 60's and 70's. He took one look and laughed as he said 'Savannah beige...I sold that one new!' so I had to buy it. One of the old mechanics remembered working on it and even owned the car registered 2 after, a thistle green 1300.

The '66 is showing 78,000 and with the history and paperwork I reckon it's pretty genuine, it's even still wearing its original Michelin X's. The other bonus is it's as solid as a rock! I wheeled it into a garage 20 odd years ago, started the resto and life etc took over so she's sat there unloved gathering dust ever since...The body and pan are split, the pan was all completely stripped, repainted and waxoiled...it looks like it has just rolled out of the factory! The body and interior are yet to do but I've got lots of NOS bits that I bought back in the day stored ready (from somewhere in Southend if I remember right?)

Fast forward to today and I have a crazy idea that pootling around in my old '66 as a daily might be a fun idea, cooler and way cheaper than my gas guzzling merc.

Hey Crasher - ABS Doh! What a div... Didn't even think about that! And the joys of traction control! I remember more than one occasion where I'd end up facing the wrong way round a wet roundabout looking back down from where I'd just come from! As far as the rest goes, maybe you're right...all those years ago I probably overlooked creature comforts and safety features in favour of looking cool and cars have come a hell of a long way since then! I'm loads older too so the lack of heating in the winter might be too much to bear also!

Thanks for your thoughts on this...looks like she might have to slowly come back to life as a weekend runabout then, watch this space!
    1966 Beetle 1300 single port

Post Thanks / Like
    My business partner has an L620 Savannah beige 69 1500 automatic. I want to get back onto my 1302LS automatic as it is in bits at the moment but I have no idea when I will get the time as I have customers cars to do and even then I need to get my 83 Golf 1 GTI back on four wheels.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: