Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Front suspension gone (overnight?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190609_174712_4s.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	6669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190609_174727_9s.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	6670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190609_174812_1s.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	6671Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190609_175228_2s.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	6672

Last photo the bolt shown by the green arrow is the one Autodoc remove, while the others remove the ones pointed to by the red arrow - is that simply because it's easier access from a ramp to undo the ones underneath?
    2010 Golf Estate BlueMotion 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Typically confused situation we see with Mexican production cars. The springs are VW part number 1K0 411 105 AQ and can have 1x Grey and 4 x blue or 1 x violet 1 x orange 1 x blue paint marks. The VW workshop manually clearly and specifically states that is is not permitted to use a chisel to part the strut clamp, an oval wedge should be used. You don’t take the bottom ball joint to hub nut off, you release the 3 nuts through the wishbone.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Thanks notrub42 thanked for this post
    Likes notrub42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK thanks for that.

Another question - I know I need to identify the hub nut type to determine the correct torque on refitting, but Haynes tell me that "an angle guage is recommended to ensure correct tightening angle"?? What does this mean - none of the videos or even the VW workshop manual say anything about this.

Also VW manual specifies renewals of most (possibly all) nuts and bolts removed. Do the shocks/coil replacement ship with any or will I need to order them all separately from a dealer?

Post Thanks / Like
    The hub BOLT does not need to come off, there is enough give with the wishbone detached but if you do remove it the part number is WHT 005 437 and it costs 6.55. The torque spec is 180+180 if my memory is correct, we do the angle just with simple paint marks, we broke two Snap Off torque gauges so stopped bothering.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

6. Thanks notrub42 thanked for this post
    Likes notrub42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The hub BOLT does not need to come off, there is enough give with the wishbone detached but if you do remove it the part number is WHT 005 437 and it costs 6.55. The torque spec is 180+180 if my memory is correct, we do the angle just with simple paint marks, we broke two Snap Off torque gauges so stopped bothering.
    Forgive me if I keep asking you more questions - you've been incredibly helpful!

What do you mean when you say you do the angle with two paint marks?

Without anyone mentioning paint marks or angle guages, I'd have assumed i just torque the bolt to the required level and then swap the torque wrench for a breaker bar to add the extra 180. Is it in adding the extra 180 that you use the paint marks to keep track of where you started tightening the bolt - a dab on one side of the bolt and a dab on the hub?

So you just undo the anti-roll bar from the strut, undo the wishbone bolts, the top bolts on the strut and then open up the clamp and you can push the wheel bearing assembly down far enough and out of the way enough to get the strut out?? I guess it depends on how stuck the clamp is on the strut, which is where using the correct tool to open up the clamp helps out a lot.

Oh and thanks also for posting the OEM number - ECP is completely useless at matching parts! Other sites are better, but still make mistakes - with the coil OEM you gave me and the shock OEM that I read off the existing shocks things are a lot easier!
    Last edited by notrub42; 09-06-19 at 23:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    I make a paint mark at 12 on the head and another at 6 and turn the head until the two align.

You drop the wishbone out of the ball joint studs and this should give enough room to pull down the hub and get the strut out but using a proper spreader, not a chisel. These are a copy of the VAG tools https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/3396 which don't work terribly well so I made my own from a pry bar but it used to fly back at me so now I use a Sykes 0845000 which seems to be no longer available but this is Lasers version https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/4587

Vile Invention

9. Thanks notrub42 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha

I plan to change the discs and pads at the same time, so I'll take the calipers, caliper holder and disc off the wheel bearing assembly first - should give me a bit more room to work in and less mass to manoeuvre.
    I bought the VAG tools copy - did see the others you mention and in some places they are around 40 but out of stock - I'd have paid that to simplify the job, but 80 is a bit steep for something I'll probably only use a handful of times in my life.

Got the parts sorted now - my ECP local store quoted me about half their online price and they'll drop them off for me. None of the other cheap online places could get the parts to me before next week and ECP are only about 20 more expensive and I know any problems and they'll fall over backwards to sort out.

So fingers crossed now for some dry weather this week!
    Last edited by notrub42; 10-06-19 at 18:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that reduction in weight will be helpful.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Disaster

While removing the wheel bearing holder to strut clamp, the nut came off without too much trouble, but the bolt was fast in place - using just arm strength and a 45cm bar I sheared the head of the bolt and about 5mm inside off!

So trying to figure out now how to get the rest of the bolt out. I could apply heat to loosen it and then try and get a set of mole grips on the thread, but I'm not optimistic of that holding - also not sure which way to try to drive it - back through (as normal) or try and pull it out the other side (since the head end is now missing).

And it was all going so well up till there!

All the other nuts/bolts came off relatively easily.

Phew - wasn't as bad as I feared - molegrips were useless but put the blowtorch on it for 5 mins and then put the nut back on the other end and tightened it to close and then a little bit more and the bolt released.

Last edited by notrub42; 12-06-19 at 14:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problems with releasing the strut inside the clamp - BUT - I cannot drop it low enough to release the strut no matter what I do - the drive shaft is stopped from going too low by a bar that the anti-roll bar is attached to. The strut moves quite freely up and down inside the clamp, but I need to be able to drop the wheel bearing assembly another inch to get the strut out.

Note the spring is so broken it doesn't need compressing - just wondering if it's possible to dismantle the strut in situ - i.e. take the retaining bolt off, unscrew the top (be very fiddly but possibly doable) and see if that gives me the extra space - or should I be able to compress the strut if I push hard enough as I'd only be compressing the piston not the spring.

If none of that works, I'll probably have to reassemble everything, put the wheel back on and lower in order to release the driveshaft bolt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast