Thread: Tyre pressure windscreen washer not working

Post Thanks / Like

Tyre pressure windscreen washer not working

Hi.
    As I work on my first beetle, I am discovering and learning about some of the unusual features.
    The windscreen washers dont work, and after a few repairs of the pipework, I can get air pressure to the top valve on the water reservoir, but nothing through it. Ive studied it, but can't fathom how its supposed to work, and in fact, how the whole system works, apart from the pressurising of the water bottle concept. Can anyone explain this , how it works, and how the valve works, should it be passing air into the water bottle, which would seem the way to me.
    I should add, that the wipers didnt work. Tonight I repaired the wiper motor and will reinstate it tomorrow, but mentioned it in case thats relevant to the workings.
    1978 Karmann Convertible 1303 1300

Post Thanks / Like
    The water is allowed through via a valve operated by the wiper stalk, these get blocked. They are part number 111 953 553 and obsolete from VW since 2003 but VW Heritage have them for 13. Romberg the tyre pressure must be high enough to pressurise the bottle.

https://www.vwheritage.com/catalogse...11%20953%20553
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The problem would appear to me that the air isnt getting through the valve to pressurise the water bottle. But, not knowing how the system works, I cant be sure. If I Take off the valve from the top of the water reservoir, and connect up to the spare wheel, should I hear air through this valve?

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had my fathers old 1968 Type 2 Devon Camper 1600. The screen washer reservoir you had to pressurize with a foot pump, I don't remember the pressure of hand I think it was 42 psi and it always worked.

I don't know if the Beetle is the same system that uses the spare wheel to pressurize the reservoir.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    The pressure line 411 955 983 B is screwed onto the spare wheel valve and mounted in the bottle bracket at the other end and is self sealing using a Schrader valve. Then the bottle cap 311 955 979 B connection hose is screwed down onto the metal fitting and you should hear the bottle pressurise. If I remember well the tyre should be at something like 42 psi?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi.
    To update, I got the system working, had to get a little brutal, but the only other option was to buy a new valve, so managed to take it apart.