Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best engine - Golf 7.5

Post Thanks / Like

Best engine - Golf 7.5

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a 1yr old VW Golf - which is the best of the following petrol (manual) engines? Max load would be myself and wife and 2 adult sons.

1.0 TSI
    1.4 TSI
    1.5 TSI

Thanks!
    2013 Golf 1.2 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot say which is the best but I have a 17 golf 1.4 DSG.Its a brilliant engine.Remarkably quiet and accelerates well-I live in a hilly area.It consistently returns 50mpg -sometimes more on motorway runs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a 1.4 DSG petrol engine Golf SV. I can't speak for the manual version but this car is excellent. MPG is in the low 50's and no effort needed to use in all sorts of driving conditions. This engine has always done whatever I have asked from it.
    Recommended IMO.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    The 1.4 TSI in my 7.5 is a brilliant engine, very quiet with excellent consumption and acceleration. I think that the 1.5 TSI is fitted to the evo version of the 7.5 with a cylinder shut off system and I seem to remember that there have been problems with this engine. I'm sure that someone else can advise about this.
    2018 Golf 1.4 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a 2l GTI, all the others are over stressed.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

6. Likes beemerboy9 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bertj View Post
    The 1.4 TSI in my 7.5 is a brilliant engine, very quiet with excellent consumption and acceleration. I think that the 1.5 TSI is fitted to the evo version of the 7.5 with a cylinder shut off system and I seem to remember that there have been problems with this engine. I'm sure that someone else can advise about this.

Yep - I've heard the same about the 1.5 engine - does anyone know what the latest is with this?
    2013 Golf 1.2 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting for a software fix.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    My own opinion based on my experiences.....1.4 TSi is a great unit, grunty and economical. My wife had a 2015 1.4 TSi Leon, and it was simply brilliant. I have had use of a later Golf 1.5 with DSG and found this much more frustrating to drive than the earlier 1.4 TSi DSG, especially at slow speeds and parking.
    That said though I still prefer the 2.0 TDi's....
    2019 Tiguan 2.0 TDI-CR 150PS DSG 2wd (not for long)
    2015 Beetle Cabriolet 2.0 TDI-CR 150PS DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogart View Post
    That said though I still prefer the 2.0 TDi's....
    The 2L petrol is a great unit, they should offer it in 1.8 and 2L down tuned from their normal GTI application and would make a low stressed unit. Even better if they re-introduced the old EA113 timing belt engine in 2L non turbo form, bomb proof if looked after but it is all about hitting EU new car emissions figures with no regard to the longevity of the car and it’s lifetime emissions. Typically short sighted political thinking.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Still software issues with the bluemotion1.5tsi engine. Car is still with dealer ( 2 months)as unsafe to drive. VW need to recall this model before there is a serious accident.
    2018 Golf 1.5 TSI, DSG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast