Thread: Question about Stop/Start before my warranty runs out

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Question about Stop/Start before my warranty runs out

To cut a long story short, previously I had a Ford with stop/start, as soon as you turned the Ford on, the stop/start was available if you needed it.

I now have a 2016 Polo GTI 1.8. Stop/start usually only works after about 10min of solid driving (sometimes 5, sometimes 15+), almost like the car has to warm up first.

When it does work, it will sometimes not stay on for very long. Today for instance, I was driving for about 5min to work - I stop at the lights and take my foot off the clutch and Stop/Starts kicks in. Then 5-10 seconds later the engines starts by itself, without me doing anything!

Was talking about this frustration to new guy at work who has a Golf GTD. He said he doesn't have this problem, stop/start is always available to him.

So for 2+ yrs I have just assumed that VW's stop/start was different to Ford and needed time to warm up, but now I am not sure. Warranty is about to run out - should I tell them my stop/start is faulty and need fixing? Or is this normal?

Thanks for any help!

(TLDR - Stop/Start button is on, and it does work, but often cuts out and mostly doesn't work until about 10min of driving)

Post Thanks / Like
    The car monitors the battery for Stop/Start, and will restart the engine if it considers the battery needs to be recharged to run the wipers, radio, air-con etc. No doubt it also waits until the battery is fully charged again when you first start it before enabling the Stop/Start function, and it may also wait until the engine is up to full temperature too.

If you car is getting on for 3 years old, is your battery OK?

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    The car monitors the battery for Stop/Start, and will restart the engine if it considers the battery needs to be recharged to run the wipers, radio, air-con etc. No doubt it also waits until the battery is fully charged again when you first start it before enabling the Stop/Start function, and it may also wait until the engine is up to full temperature too.

If you car is getting on for 3 years old, is your battery OK?

Chris
    This is something I could check I suppose, MOT tests have all come back fine, though I don't think they check the battery health.

The thing is though - I noticed this as soon as I got the car, bought brand new from a VW Showroom. So maybe the battery was faulty from the start? I guess my question is does what I describe match with what people on here experience with their VW's Stop/Start?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I restrict use of the Stop/Start to occasions when I can see I have a fairly long wait before moving off again... like at reaching a level crossing as the gates come down, or traffic lights that have just turned to red. But other than that, mine certainly restarts the engine if it needs to kick the air con up to a higher level, and it doesn't seem to work just after starting a journey.

Chris

PS: Most people's complaints here seem to be about the Stop/Start wearing out their starters when they don't want it operating, rather than the other way round
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha fair enough, thanks for the reply, yeah like I said my last car was a Ford, and it seems the Stop/Start acts differently (and I've been conditioned to it). Apart from that my VW is better in every way!

Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    Well I restrict use of the Stop/Start to occasions when I can see I have a fairly long wait before moving off again...
    Same, but I don't really use it now because, I know that more often than not, the engine will just kick back in again on its own. Then it just sounds like you stalled and restarted while sitting in traffic

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Daft question I know but do you always wear your set belt? I find a lot of the VAG cars I drive with S/S are often showing the system is not available in the dash display for no apparent reason. I did a check-over on a Golf 7 GT TDI this morning and on road test it took ages for the system to be available. On the code read it did have some data BUS errors but it had just come off a used car lot so we cleared them and told him to drive it for a week and pop back.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    If you read your car's manual it should tell you the conditions under which it won't work.
    Mine states that the car must have achieved operating temperature first -which is around 90. Takes it about 10-15 mins to get there. Basically as long as the temperature gauge is still rising, the car won't stop the engine.

After that mine doesn't work if I'm running any power heavy operations, like the heater/air-con on high.
    2010 Golf Estate BlueMotion 1.6 TDI-CR