Thread: Handbrake removal

Post Thanks / Like

Handbrake removal

Hi - does any know how to get the handbrake cover off? I致e removed the steering wheel and gear shifter but I知 now stuck trying to remove the handbrake cover.(I知 sending them off for recovering)
    Thank you.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogart View Post
    Hi - does any know how to get the handbrake cover off? I’ve removed the steering wheel and gear shifter but I’m now stuck trying to remove the handbrake cover.(I’m sending them off for recovering)
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0 but you have posted in Beetle 2012 onwards.

We need to know the year and correct model.

Why have you removed the steering wheel to access the handbrake cover?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I posted a quick one from my phone whilst I was in the garage earlier.

The car in question is our gorgeous Red Beetle cabriolet. 2015 model, 150 DSG. We are really impressed by how quiet this car is - arguably quieter than the 1.2 Tsi Dune we had a couple of years back and much more frugal!

I am removing the steering wheel, gearshift selector lever and handbrake cover in order to send them to be re-covered in Alcantara and a bit more red stitching for bling.

The steering wheel and selector were straightforwards enough - the steering wheel was just a case of seeing the clips retaining the airbag at the back of the wheel when turned though 90 degrees and releasing with a short screwdriver - I found balancing an iphone with the camera facing forwards gave a great view of the clip. Then just unbolt and disconnect the yellow airbag wiring by pulling out the white tab and removing the MF connector.

The gear lever was a bit harder as care needed not to damage the front cover and surround...I'll post some photo's if of interest?

So to the handbrake lever cover - the gaiter comes away easy enough but I cannot see how to extract the lever end without removing the button......?

Has anyone doe this? Any help would be most greatly appreciated......
    2019 Tiguan 2.0 TDI-CR 150PS DSG 2wd (not for long)
    2015 Beetle Cabriolet 2.0 TDI-CR 150PS DSG