Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polo 1.2 E just died

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I was getting a bit of a bargain at 1849 for a 2008 Polo with 53k on the clock. To be honest with my past 3 cars causing me nothing but grief I might save up and get something else in a year or so around the 5k mark. That could get me a city car that's 3 years old or less.

For now though I'll wait and see how the Polo is when I get it back. There's no doubt that it's frugal and a lot comfier and more practical than the Puma.

You're right - most people would've scrapped it. Asides from the issues it's faced, having it tuned with sports cams, custom inlet manifold and other mods did make it a hoot to drive, but it also drank fuel and was never going to make much money back in it's current condition.

I'm not a mechanic though, so I was throwing money at it, things weren't getting done properly and I wound up getting more and more stressed out with it.

Anyways, onwards and upwards. I'll let you know once I get the car back.

Ed
    2008 Polo 1.2, Petrol

2. Likes lemta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is one of THE most troublesome engines VW have made since the RO80 Wankel engine of the 60's!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Once this work is done is there anything I need to be on the look out for?

How regular should servicing and oil changes etc be?

I really hope this car goes the distance as I can't realistically get another one for at least 6 months.

Ed
    2008 Polo 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    That is one of THE most troublesome engines VW have made since the RO80 Wankel engine of the 60's!
    Confused - although I never worked on any I always assumed that NSU were the culprits for that rotary motor.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    VAG bought NSU in 1969 so they took over liability
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

7. Thanks Sam&Anne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    e.g.

Manufacturer: Audi, Date(s) Used: 08/1976-07/1978, Model: Audi 50, Engine Code: HD, 38Kw, 52PS, 1.1 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: The Audi 50 was built by Audi NSU, rebadged as the VW Polo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_50
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    They're inspecting the cylinder head today to see how bad it is. Got the courtesy car picked up. It's a really ratty old car. Problems abound - I hope it goes the distance. Insurance cost me 42 less for 3 weeks insurance than my Polo did for the entire year.

I hoped the A/C would work in this courtesy car. It doesn't. In fact the interior fans don't work at all.

In this weather? How courteous.

Ed
    2008 Polo 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    My husband is confirming this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the car back end of last week. No paperwork/invoice provided. They supposedly changed 1 exhaust valve.

A few days later (around 120 miles covered) the yellow oil light comes on. I drive 3 miles to a garage and get some oil and top up with 0.5 litres. I check for leaks - none apparent. I contact the garage, they blame the oil useage on the replacement part fitted. Personallyt, I didn't believe their excuse for one minute. The car has been driven a total of 2 weeks and covered around 600 miles in that time. When I bought the car it had been given an oil and filter change. So I said I'd keep an eye on the oil level and left it at that for the time being.

Today (less than 3 days later) the oil light comes on again. I top up another 0.5 litres of oil. I try and contact the garage and they don't reply to my notification that the car has used half a litre of oil in less than 3 days.

I don't know what to do at this point. It's evident from the service they did, the repairs they've done and the abysmal condition of their courtesy car, that this garage is doing everything on the cheap.

I'm stuck at this point. I can't afford to buy another car, but I don't trust this one, or the garage I bought it from.

Ed
    Last edited by raggamuffin; 26-07-19 at 19:51.
    2008 Polo 1.2, Petrol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12