Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polo 1.2 E just died

Post Thanks / Like

Polo 1.2 E just died

Hi all,

First post here. Bought a 2008 Polo face-lift last week. 53k on the clock, 4 owners, no service history.

Was on a dual carriageway trying to overtake and the engine management light came on. Within 2 mins the car lost all power.

Engine starts but runs rough. Just in a recovery truck on the way to the garage I bought it from. Thankfully it comes with a 6 month mechanical warranty.

Any ideas on what went wrong?

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Got back and when the recovery truck took the car off it started fine with no engine management light on and running smooth? Done some looking up.

Lambda, coil pack of cylinder misfire are potential culprits.

Least I got a 6 month warranty.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

What did this recovery company use to get this error code?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

You need to have a compression test done.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Recovery company didn't use anything. They just loaded the car and dropped it off at the garage I bought it from. The garage I bought it off has it's own workshop. They said they'll scan it and let me know on Monday. He had a feeling it'd be a coil pack. I'll ask them to do a compression test as well.

Don't worry, I won't be here just looking for a fix for this problem. I intend to keep the car long term. I mainly bought it as I need an economical car that I hope will be reliable. I won't let this first issue phase me though. I'd been pottering around driving like a granny. Managing 55 mpg consistently which is really good for mixed driving tbh.

Ed
    2008 Polo 1.2, Petrol

5. Likes lemta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok what did this garage use to get this error code?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    They haven't done it yet. They won't look at the car until Monday. I just text him to ask them to do a compression test as well and he said they'd do it.

Ed
    2008 Polo 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Compression test revealed cylinder 2 has no compression.

So the cylinder head is being sent off and I'm without the Polo for 3 weeks.

Great start.

Ed
    2008 Polo 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raggamuffin View Post
    Compression test revealed cylinder 2 has no compression.

So the cylinder head is being sent off and I'm without the Polo for 3 weeks.

Great start.

Ed
    To look at it another way, the engine will get rebuilt so you will probably have a better car.
    2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, BLP

Post Thanks / Like
    That's true. Sorry, I'm not coming from this with the best mindset really. Bought this car to put an end to a Ford Puma I had for 14 months. Was the 3rd I owned. Got it for 550 had a full engine rebuild. Since I got it back it was plagued with problems that didn't exist before the rebuild. Over 5500 later and it sold on eBay on Saturday for 532 - 18 less than I bought it for...wonderful.
    Before that it was a mark I Focus I owned that was plagued with issues too.

The past year or so I've had no luck whatsoever with cars and this is the icing on the cake i suppose.
    As you said though, once it's done it'll last me a long time. Which is a relief. Although 53k miles and something major goes wrong makes me a little nervous. Is it a problem with how the engine was made?

Ed
    2008 Polo 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raggamuffin View Post
    That's true. Sorry, I'm not coming from this with the best mindset really. Bought this car to put an end to a Ford Puma I had for 14 months. Was the 3rd I owned. Got it for 550 had a full engine rebuild. Since I got it back it was plagued with problems that didn't exist before the rebuild. Over 5500 later and it sold on eBay on Saturday for 532 - 18 less than I bought it for...wonderful.
    Before that it was a mark I Focus I owned that was plagued with issues too.

The past year or so I've had no luck whatsoever with cars and this is the icing on the cake i suppose.
    As you said though, once it's done it'll last me a long time. Which is a relief. Although 53k miles and something major goes wrong makes me a little nervous. Is it a problem with how the engine was made?

Ed
    I see where you are coming from! I would have been the same I guess. Problem with buying at the cheaper end of the market is that you really have to know your cars or you need to get lucky or both.

If you are buying around the grand mark it is always pot luck whether it's a money pit...more often than not it is. Then it comes to a judgement call on how much you spend on it. Most people probably would have scrapped your Puma rather than go on the route of engine rebuild.
    2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, BLP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast