Thread: Passenger Door lock stuck

Post Thanks / Like

Passenger Door lock stuck

Hi all,
    This is my first post on the forum, I’m an experienced aircraft engineer but less so with cars, l tend to leave them to the professionals. However.......

I have a problem with my wife’s 2007 Touran 1.9 TDI. About a month ago the passenger door lock started to stick so I took the door lock out, lubricated and exercised the mechanism and rebuilt it. There was a lot of faffing about to get it to open but the gods smiled on me and it popped open with the key fob twice, once when I was weighing the job up and again when I stupidly shut the door to turn the car round..... Moral of the story is clip a set of vice-grips onto the keeper before distractions occur.

It lasted about a week before becoming intermittent again so I ordered the matching spare from a breakers on e-Bay with the intention of swapping it out this weekend while the kids are away. This time the door lock is just not having any at all. I have removed the rear door to get at the torqx bit that releases the block behind the external handle and with this removed you have reasonable access to the lever for external opening but try as I might it will not open.

Having a play with the replacement would suggest that the red ‘cocking lever’ is the key and if this is not in the correct position neither of the unlocking levers is operational. So I think I have an internal failure of the solenoid that moves this. With the lock on the bench you can just about get to the top of the cocking lever and push it over but in-situ it’s impossible, you can see a spot of red the size of a pin head but it’s impossible to reach, let alone move.

My thoughts are that there are three options;
    1) Destroy the interior trim and cut a hole through the pressed steel door inner panel and anything else that’s in the way until I can get to the cocking handle then replace the damaged parts as and when I can get hold of them.
    2) Take an angle grinder to the exterior door panel and then replace the door with a part from a scrapper.
    3) Part-ex the bus and let someone else fix it.

I’m holding on until I can have a chat to my local garage mechanic who is a great bloke but I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this before things get expensive.

Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Backseatdriver View Post
    Hi all,
    This is my first post on the forum,
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

That isn't easy to diagnose on the web.

Stuck/sticking can mean a lot of things. You have tried lubrication but that hasn't worked.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the rapid reply, sorry I’m not familiar with your protocol.

I have two VWs on the drive, a Golf TDi with 140k and the Bus with 98k. I’ve been a VW stalwart since I bought a second hand A Reg Mk1 Golf driver for my wife about fifteen years ago and was amazed by its simplicity and common sense engineering compared to the Fords I had run for years for no better reason than that’s what my Dad swore by. My previous two high millers were a T Reg Bora TDi which expired at 120k and a Polo TDi which went at about the same point for 800 owing me nothing. You can also throw in an X plate 1.4 petrol Polo which I really didn’t feel the love for at all which went west after a large bowl of my Mother-in-Law’s Scotch broth fell over into the back seat and despite many attempts to get rid of the smell we gave it up as a bad job. The gear ratios were all over the place and you couldn’t drive it in an urban environment without constantly shifting between third and fourth.

So I’m a VW user rather than enthusiast, I rely on them and they rarely let me down. To me they are a tool, like any other in my box, I look after them but they don’t get polished too often. I chose this forum to post onto because you seem to be knowledgeable and not too stuffy and I’d like to think if I get some sensible advice I wouldn’t be the type to cut and run without putting something back in by way of thanks.

The lock was intermittent in its operation and is now inoperative. The affected door lock makes a healthy clunk when locking and a clunk followed by a kind of double snick when unlocking. None of the other doors do this. I strongly suspect that it’s nothing to do with the car electronics and is isolated to the lock. However, the lads at the garage will be able to run the diagnostics on it for me when I can get to them. The main problem is I’m recovering from surgery and can’t drive for another fortnight. I was really just curious if anyone had ever seen this previously and if the doomsday scenario was avoidable.

Again, apologies for chucking this straight on.

Mike
    Wife: 2007 Touran 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm,
    I’ve been mulling this over and I think the next plan of attack may be to remove the passenger seat and attempt inner trim panel removal from the inside. Shouldn’t be beyond the wit of man but I balked at doing it yesterday because I didn’t have the required bit to get the bolts out. The trim panel has been off recently so it shouldn’t put up too much of a struggle, then it comes down to that pressed steel inner panel and the clip on white plastic guard around the lock. The slightest push on the cocking lever and we’re dancing.
    Has anyone out there attempted this before?
    Feint heart never etc, etc.........
    Wife: 2007 Touran 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    We just use one chap inside and one outside, thumping and bumping the door and operating the lock and remote and eventually it opens. Did a Touran right rear once, got it open after a LOT of trying, went away for a cuppa and when I got back some helpful soul had shut the door! Only fit genuine VW door locks, not fleaBay rubbish.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

6. Thanks Backseatdriver thanked for this post