Thread: Random revving engine and lurching. Diagnosis needed please.

Post Thanks / Like

Random revving engine and lurching. Diagnosis needed please.

I have a 2006 VW Golf Plus recently acquired with 26k on the clock.

An issue hasdeveloped recently and I was hoping someone might know the cause.

It all started whenidling in traffic the other day. The engine was gently revving itselfwith my foot no where near the pedals. soon after the engineemissions warning light came on. However, an hour or so later thelight went off again and the engine seamed to be fine.

Anyway a couplemonths on the problem seems to be back. What's happening now is thatthe engine will hesitate after the accelerator is pushed down andthen lurch. Also when going up a hill in second gear with plenty ofrevs the engine will stutter as it might if it was struggling in alower gear.

I was looking underthe bonnet the other day and a kindly stranger (who was also amechanic) suggested that it might be a split vacuum pipe. Apparentlyit is a common issue with VW Golf's.

The car is stillunder warranty with the used car dealership but to be honest I don'tparticularly trust the people who work there so I wanted to get adiagnosis before taking it in and let them fix it.

What does everyonethink the issues might be? Is there a way I can check is it is asplit vacuum pipe myself (full disclosure, I know nothing aboutcars)? What do you all recommend I do?

All advice will bevery gratefully received.

Post Thanks / Like
    Firstly, before Keith gets here, what is the cars engine?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Likes Sam&Anne, lemta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Firstly, before Keith gets here, what is the cars engine?
    Its the 1.6 TSI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like everyone has drawn a blank?

Post Thanks / Like
    One way of checking for a vacuum leak is to spray something like WD-40. Google it and you'll get plenty of directions how to do it. But only do it if you are confident as there is potential for fire etc.

But the best thing you could do is to get the car scanned for fault codes, it will save in the lon term.
    2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, BLP

Post Thanks / Like
    If the light has been on it will have stored a code so it needs canning to see what that is.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: