Thread: Can I connect my Tiguan...

Post Thanks / Like

Can I connect my Tiguan...

...to my domestic wireless network to update the infotainment system, please?

I'm hoping this can be done to also update the maps, because I've spent many an hour using VW's DiscoverCare application, only for the map database on the SD card not being recognised by the Discover Media system.

I'm reluctant to overwrite the original SD card, as it's the only one that works, so have used several cards, all of which aren't recognised.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl4933 View Post
    ...to my domestic wireless network to update the infotainment system, please?

I'm hoping this can be done to also update the maps, because I've spent many an hour using VW's DiscoverCare application, only for the map database on the SD card not being recognised by the Discover Media system.

I'm reluctant to overwrite the original SD card, as it's the only one that works, so have used several cards, all of which aren't recognised.

Thanks.
    1) This depends on which satnav system you have. If it's the Discover Media, then no.

2) The supplied SD card contains hidden data that validates it with your satnav system. Other cards will not have this data (and it cannot be copied over at all easily) so will not be recognised as valid mapping cards by your system. What you need to do is back up your existing data card first (so that you can always fall back to the original mapping data if required) and then update the card with the latest mapping data.

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

3. Thanks Nightowl4933 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info.

It's a Discover Media, so 'No' is the answer

I hunted high and low for the answer about using a different SD card, but this is the first clear answer, thank you. Now I'm puzzled why the 'non-VW card' option is available in the DiscoverCare app!

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't come across that... it implies that once it's been validated with the original card it can transfer the hidden data to a new card... which would be handy when the map data has grown to big to fit on the original card!

I wonder if it will do that??

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, you were correct. It will only update a genuine SD card.

I tried to restore the backup from the original SD card to a new one using both the "... with original Volkswagen SD card" and "... without original Volkswagen SD card", but they didn't work either, so if anyone wants a backup card, they'll have to buy one from VW or a well-known reseller site!

All the best,

Pete
    2016 Tiguan Tech Match Edition BlueMotion 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    And on to the second part of the question:

Given I can't connect to my wireless system at home, is it worth investing in a data SIM card and something like the Huawei Wingle (total about 75) as a dedicated wireless network? The data on my phone is limited - and it's a business phone - so I'd rather not use that up.

What impact would doing this have on App-Connect, please?

Thanks again
    2016 Tiguan Tech Match Edition BlueMotion 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow, good to know!