Thread: T5 Caravelle Exec Cruise Control Fault

Post Thanks / Like

T5 Caravelle Exec Cruise Control Fault

Hi All, discovered an issue with my Cruise Control function the other day.

When Cruise Control active, if I indicated LEFT (short press - 3 flashes), this would disable the cruise control. Once indicator back in neutral position then I could re-activate Cruise Control.

Then, when Cruise Control active, once indicated left (long press - continuous indication), this would disable the Cruise Control & I could not re-activate it without first switching the ignition off.

Finally, today, the Cruise Control does not work at all!!

Any ideas / experiences out there much appreciated

Cheers
    Ricki
    2007 Caravelle T5 Executive 2.5 TDI-PD 131PS, VIN: WV2ZZZ7HZ8H******, Engine Code: BNZ, Model Type: 7HMH03, Colour Code: LA7W

Post Thanks / Like
    I would fit a new column stalk first.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    A new column stalk is going to be around 70 though I can't check ETKA as they don't list Caravelle.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I have now got around to doing a diagnostic check & the result as as follows:-

- P0568 - Cruise Control Set Signal
    - P1689 - Databus drivetrain : implausible message from electronic central electric

These don't mean anything to me & the garage that performed the diagnostic said that it could be anything on the system & the only way would be to replace component by component??

Thanks,
    Ricki
    2007 Caravelle T5 Executive 2.5 TDI-PD 131PS, VIN: WV2ZZZ7HZ8H******, Engine Code: BNZ, Model Type: 7HMH03, Colour Code: LA7W

Post Thanks / Like
    VAG Error Code: 16952/18875/17166/19430/25110/4481/001384
    EOBD II Error Code: P0568

Fault Location:
    Cruise Control Switch (E45) - Signal Malfunction/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Cruise control system inoperative.

Signal Wire from Steering Column Control Module (J527) or Central Electronics Control Module (CECM) (J519) to Engine Control Module faulty.
    Steering Column Control Module (J527) Coding faulty.
    Cruise Control Switch (E45) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Signal Wire from Steering Column Control Module (J527) or Central Electronics Control Module (CECM) (J519) to Engine Control Module.
    Check Steering Column Control Module (J527) Coding.
    Check Cruise Control Switch (E45).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 066.

Special Notes:
    In most recent Models the Cruise Control is part of the Steering Column Control Module (J527) while in earlier ones it is Part of the Central Electronics Control Module (CECM) (J519). Very early ones run the wiring directly from the Stalk/Switch to the Engine Control Module. If in doubt, check the Wiring Diagram for Details.
    When retrofitting Cruise Control, the Signal Wire from the Steering Column Control Module (J527) or Central Electronics Control Module (CECM) (J519) to the Engine Control Module (ECM) is often not being added.

When is the code detected?:
    The Engine Control Module (ECM) has detected a fault in the Cruise Control Set Switch.

Description:
    The cruise control system keeps the vehicle running at a fixed speed until a signal cancelling this fixed speed is received. When the main switch is turned on with vehicle in the running mode, the battery voltage is applied to the Engine Control Module (ECM). When a signal from the control switch is input to the Engine Control Module (ECM) while the vehicle is in state, the Engine Control Module (ECM) controls fuel injection to make a car go at a steady speed you want. Also, while the system is operating, "CRUISE" indicator lamp in the meter assembly lights up.

VAG Error Code: 18097
    EOBD II Error Code: P1689

Fault Location:
    Powertrain Data Bus, Implausible Message from Electrical Load Controller Control Module - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Multifunction control module trouble code(s) stored.
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Matching resistor in Engine Control Module (ECM).

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Keithuk for the info, unfortunately it means very little to me (being a complete vehicle novice). What would you suggest i do to recxtify the Cruis Control issue??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by divettri View Post
    Hi, I have now got around to doing a diagnostic check & the result as as follows:-

- P0568 - Cruise Control Set Signal
    - P1689 - Databus drivetrain : implausible message from electronic central electric

These don't mean anything to me & the garage that performed the diagnostic said that it could be anything on the system & the only way would be to replace component by component??
    The garage did a scan do they use VAG-COM\VCDS or a generic scanner?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.