Thread: EGR Fault Codes (2009 Crafter)

Post Thanks / Like

EGR Fault Codes (2009 Crafter)

For the last few months my 2009 Crafter has been dropping into limp mode, showing up various codes that point to an emissions problem.

Since then I have replaced the following:

EGR valve
    Lambda sensor
    Engine ECU
    Wiring
    Mass air flow sensor

Although it isn't currently dropping into limp mode, the RAC telematics that I have plugged into my OBD keeps telling me that the following faults keep occurring:

P0101
    P0404
    P2BAB
    P2BAC

I'm concerned that I'm not finding the root cause of the issue and that it will probably start dropping into limp mode again sometime soon.

Any suggestions on what could be causing these emissions issues would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marklaa View Post
    For the last few months my 2009 Crafter has been dropping into limp mode, showing up various codes that point to an emissions problem.

the RAC telematics that I have plugged into my OBD keeps telling me that the following faults keep occurring:

P0101
    P0404
    P2BAB
    P2BAC
    The RAC use a good generic scanner as they try a fix all makes and models.

VAG Error Code: 16485/4794/7330/5667/4795/000257
    EOBD II Error Code: P0101

Fault Location:
    Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) - Circuit Range/Performance Problem/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Loss of Power.
    Erratic Idle.

Wiring/Connector(s).
    Air Leak(s) after Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).
    Excessive restrictions in the Intake/Exhaust System.
    Dirty air filter, clogged snow screen, clogged CAT.
    Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) faulty,
    Ground Spots corroded or Paint Residue.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Check Intake Air Filter.
    Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).
    Check Earth Points.
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Mass air flow vs upper threshold model < 60 - 800 kg/h.
    Lower threshold model < 0 - 400 kg/h.
    Load calculation > 18%.
    Fuel system < -17%.

Special Notes:
    In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW diesel cars Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy / dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) - 08], group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm).
    It is not uncommon for a TDI to set Implausible Signal Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) faults when the engine performance is reduced due to a mechanical problem. These mechanical problems may include, but are not limited to:
    Faulty electric fuel pump or Restricted fuel filter. See the Fuel Pump Basic Settings for PD, PPD, and CR TDI Engines page for Basic Settings tips after replacement.
    Excessive restrictions in the intake/exhaust system.
    Internal camshaft/valve/lifter problems.

Tech Notes:
    Before replacing the mass air flow sensor, try replacing the air filter and cleaning the air flow sensor with low compress air or mass air flow sensor cleaner. Reset code and drive vehicle. If the code comes back, it may be necessary to replaced the mass air flow sensor.

When is the code detected?:
    A high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM) under light load driving condition.
    A low voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
    The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) is placed in the stream of intake air. It measures the intake flow rate by measuring a part of the entire intake flow. It consists of a hot film that is supplied with electric current from the Engine Control Module (ECM).

The temperature of the hot film is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) a certain amount. The heat generated by the hot film is reduced as the intake air flows around it. The more air, the greater the heat loss. Therefore, the Engine Control Module (ECM) must supply more electric current to maintain the temperature of the hot film as air flow increases. The Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the air flow by means of this current change.

VAG Error Code: 16788
    EOBD II Error Code: P0404

Fault Location:
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System - Range/Performance Problem

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
    Hose connection(s).
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) temperature sensor and circuit.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve/solenoid.

Possible Solutions:

When is the code detected?:
    An improper voltage signal is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM) through the valve.

EOBD II Error Code: P2BAB

Fault Location:
    Nitrogen Oxides (NOx), Limit Exceeded - Incorrect Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow

Possible Cause:
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Nitrogen oxides (NOx) sensor 1 (G295).
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve/Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve actuator.
    Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:

Description:
    The selective catalytic reduction system reduces Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) emissions by injecting a metered amount of diesel exhaust fluid or reductant into the exhaust gas stream entering the diesel particulate filter (DPF). Within the selective catalytic reduction catalyst, the reductant reacts with the NOx to form nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and water vapour. Upstream and downstream NOx sensors provide the Engine Control Module (ECM) with engine-out and tailpipe-out NOx levels.

The Engine Control Module (ECM) uses the 2 NOx sensors to control exhaust NOx levels. The NOx sensor measures the amount of NOx and oxygen in the exhaust system. The first NOx sensor is located at the outlet of the turbocharger and monitors the engine out NOx. The second NOx sensor is located in the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) that monitors NOx levels exiting the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF). The Engine Control Module (ECM) varies the amount of reductant added by varying the reductant injector duty cycle in response to changes in engine exhaust out NOx levels.

EOBD II Error Code: P2BAC

Fault Location:
    Nitrogen Oxides (NOx), Limit Exceeded - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Deactivated

Possible Cause:
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Nitrogen oxides (NOx) sensor 1 (G295).
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve/Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve actuator.
    Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Post moved to the correct section as its not a general question.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your response, however I already know what the four fault codes mean. The RAC Telematics software tells me that.

I've replaced everything (I think) that's mentioned with new parts but all four fault codes still occur.

Could there be something else that's causing these emissions faults? Some issue with the exhaust perhaps?
    2009 Crafter Engine????

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to investigate more.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.