Thread: New Golf owner, couple questions

Post Thanks / Like

New Golf owner, couple questions

Hi everyone

I have just bought a 2007 Golf Match 1.9 TDI with 152k miles, I have a few questions for someone new to VW's.

1) At 152k miles, it's asking me to do a service, is it worth it and what should be done? I know the belt was done at 142k miles, I am not sure when the oil was last done (no service records) but the oil looks clean. I am thinking of just clearing the service message and then doing an oil change myself in a few months (I will be doing 15k a year).

2) I would like to replace the standard stereo with something like this but will it fit (size wise and fittings) and do I need a convertor and a trim piece to get it to fit snuggly? In my old car (Astra) I had to get a convertor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about your stereo, but I have a 2015 Golf TDI and VW recommend:

- Every year or 10K miles, change oil and filter. Check your brake pads and disk thickness.
    - Every 2 years, change brake fluid, fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter. Check antifreeze concentration and replace if needed.

I think the most important is to change oil+filter and brake fluid. Other items are not that essential.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

If the timing belt was changed at 142k you should be ok providing they did the tensioner.

The normal thing is engine oil and filter. If you have no record of the fuel filter being changed that should be every 20,000 miles so you may as well change that.

Air filter and pollen filter if you have no record then you can remove them to check how bad they are or replace them both.

Brake fluid change is 3 years then 2 years after that.

There are loads of thread about stereo replacement in In Car Entertainment if you browse.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don’t fit a VW specific head unit such as the Kenwood ZGB 000 035 518VW (https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vw/DNX518VDABS) you will have to get a parallel sided fitting double DIN facia plate adapter and also a CAN BUS adapter as there is no conventional ignition on/off signal anywhere on the car. Also on pre 2008 cars you MAY find you also need to update the CAN BUS controller to a later part number such as 7N0 907 530 BH Z00 at £135.31 or you can suffer flat battery issues as the system will not go to sleep after you leave the car. Also the new CAN BUS unit MUST be coded to the car as it works in many different vehicles. Depending on what you buy and the spec of your car, you may also need an antenna lead converter as some Golf 5’s have a dual diversity system with twin Fakra connectors to the head unit and the antenna units are powered from the output of the head unit down the co-ax so an adapter with a power feed wire has to be used and this connected to the antenna power output of the radio, typically a blue wire.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Brake fluid every 2 years?
    How do you check antifreeze concentration level please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Brake fluid is 3 years from new and then every 2. You don’t need to check the coolant as it should be changed every five years but we use a simple specific gravity tool for modern Polypropylene coolants which you can buy for a tenner if you have a chain drive engine that lasts that long..... You would be better served starting your own appropriate thread.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul_Breganzo View Post
    How do you check antifreeze concentration level please?
    There are antifreeze testers on the market you can Google. We had a good one where I used to work you put a sample on the viewer and it shows the percentage and minimum freeze level. It was Kent Moore a Refractometer, its like a red tube with a viewer at one end. It also tests battery electrolyte which you can't do on modern batteries as you can't top them up. Another stupid feature with todays technology.

£12 fleaybay
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.