Thread: Aux belt (alternator belt) keeps braking

Post Thanks / Like

Aux belt (alternator belt) keeps braking 1.9 to golf mk 4

Ok. Hopefully I can download a couple of pics to show how the aux belt Is sitting on the belt tensioner which i believe is eventually warring my belt out aprox every 3 months.. is there a pulley that should go between the bottom crank pulley to the tensioner as if yes theres nothing between them .. or is there supposed to be a ridge on the pulley of the tensioner to stop the belt slipping off which is what i think could be happening here (see pic, if i can upload it that is)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SoQnzF9soY7N8QDJ9
    Last edited by jez33; 22-07-19 at 20:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jez33 View Post
    Ok. Hopefully I can download a couple of pics to show how the aux belt Is sitting on the belt tensioner which i believe is eventually warring my belt out aprox every 3 months.. is there a pulley that should go between the bottom crank pulley to the tensioner as if yes theres nothing between them .. or is there supposed to be a ridge on the pulley of the tensioner to stop the belt slipping off which is what i think could be happening here (see pic, if i can upload it that is)
    Sorry I cant work out how to download photos yet.... all I can add is the pulley on the tensioner has no ridges to stop the belt slipping off which in my head would make more sense to have them

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking back at your earlier posts I can see this is a 2001 Golf 4 TDI and that you have replaced the alternator pulley, belt and tensioner?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not familiar with this model but assuming it's all standard and belt routing is correct, your photo shows the belt simply fitted the wrong way round i.e. the flat part of the belt should sit against the smooth pulleys and the grooved side against the grooved pulleys. It's the matching of the grooves and ridges in the belt with the ridges and grooves in the pulleys that keeps the belt from jumping off and provides the friction force to drive the alternator etc. The smooth pulleys are simply idlers or tensioners.

Hope that's some help.

Scott
    2006 Fox Urban 1.2, BMD, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snailpace85 View Post
    I'm not familiar with this model but assuming it's all standard and belt routing is correct, your photo shows the belt simply fitted the wrong way round i.e. the flat part of the belt should sit against the smooth pulleys and the grooved side against the grooved pulleys. It's the matching of the grooves and ridges in the belt with the ridges and grooves in the pulleys that keeps the belt from jumping off and provides the friction force to drive the alternator etc. The smooth pulleys are simply idlers or tensioners.

Hope that's some help.

Scott
    Thanks for replying..
    The belt I've got is ribbed both sides so theres no flat side of the belt...
    I suspect may be the wheel tensioner has lost the rhe ridge at the edges or may be a belt directional spacer is missing. its difficult to know what's missing if you're not sure if it was there in the 1st place

Post Thanks / Like
    Jez, could you private message me your UK REG number or VIN?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    I've just got a new belt tensioner but yet to fit it.. I thought I would buy the new one as on closer inspection of my old one I think the bushiing in the tention pulley might have either a little play or the pinion has most probably bent causing the pulley wheel to tilt slightly a make the belt slide partially off..
    I'll let you all know for sure so any one else having this problem can at least learn from my experience