Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EGR valve for Passat B6 2005

Post Thanks / Like

EGR valve for Passat B6 2005

Got a check engine and glow plug lights on a 2005 Passat B6 2.0 TDI 3C5. The mechanic said it's the EGR valve this time after reading the error code. I was quoted almost 200 GBP for the valve.

Went online and found a bunch of new aftermarket valves for around 40 pounds. Then I saw there are pneumatic and more expensive electric valves. The one in my car looks like a pneumatic valve. I found a Wahler valve online that looks like it and costs 45 pounds.

Am I getting ripped off here and is this a good part? It fits my car according to the site. I don't live in the UK btw.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Firstly, as a garage owner, the continually miss used “ripped off” expression grates. Guesstimating your car has a BKP code engine, the 3C underwent some erratic and unpredictable EGR system changes for the 2006 model year, the early systems were very unreliable so we need your VIN, and even then we cannot be accurate.... a picture of the EGR valve/manifold would help.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    So the Passat in question is from 2005. I read they switched to electric EGR valves in late 2006. Where I'm from getting ripped off by mechanics is par for the course. A regular person knows squat about cars and they can do whatever they want. For all I know, he could tell me any part is faulty, charge whatever for it, and get away with it. 200 pounds for a pneumatic EGR valve - does that sound right?

- this is the same car, and looks to be the same type of valve.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/wahler/1719314 - is this correct? 45 pounds for a valve that looks like the one in the car, made by a reputable brand. I don't know anything about the site though.

Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by VW8291; 23-07-19 at 20:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Auto Doc site is fine, I use their app which seems to allow slightly higher discount rates, which cycle every day so order when the discount is highest at 24 or 25%, and have ordered many, many parts from them for various cars.

45 for a new vacuum EGR valve made by Borg Warner is a great price. Over here 200 FITTED might be a good price but 200 for the part itself would be considered expensive, unless original from the VW dealer where prices for some parts can be ludicrously expensive. Prices range greatly depending on where you look, how quickly you want parts and the accuracy of your search terms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Turns out it's the throttle body, not the EGR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VW8291 View Post
    Turns out it's the throttle body, not the EGR.
    So it's the electrically operated 100 odd part next in line to the EGR Valve. Some brands can be as much as 200, again perhaps more at a dealership. Throttle body is an odd term for a Tdi as technically it does not have one. It is an Anti Shudder flap primarily designed to snap shut when the engine is switched off to remove overrun and shudders then open again within a few seconds ready for restart. It does not control the air flow like a petrol throttle body does and remains open throughout engine running.

Post Thanks / Like
    The V157 flap is also used by the ECU in control of the EGR strategy by controlling the air flow speed.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The V157 flap is also used by the ECU in control of the EGR strategy by controlling the air flow speed.
    Didn't want to go too technical for the OP but hey ho...

🤔 It's infinite adjustability via an electric motor specifically enables the creation of the required vacuum downstream of the control flap itself to promote the efficient induction of exhaust gases from the EGR system when necessary and demanded by the ECU 😏🤯

Post Thanks / Like
    You have the SSP then. Too much like 60’s Labybird books for my liking, I prefer good old German technical manuals devoid of humour.

Vile Invention

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast