Thread: Acrylic paint for roofbox?

Post Thanks / Like

Acrylic paint for roofbox?

I picked up a free roofbox that's showing its age and I'm considering spraying it.

I've had good success freshening things up using acrylic sprays, but a roofbox has to cope with being blasted with air at 70+mph.

I've googled around, and lots of people seems to have asked similar questions, but I can find no informed answers.

If I go the acrylic route, I've got 2 choices
    1) I have already got a couple of large cans of matt black, more than enough to do a large roofbox, but the original colour is the light grey, so if the paint does end up getting scratched a lot, it will look truly awful.
    2) I can order in something similar in colour to existing, although I'll never get an exact match.

Either way, should I finish with a lacquer?

Any thoughts as to how resilient such a job would be?
    2010 Golf Estate BlueMotion 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Eastwood do a fantastic plastic resurfacer that I am using to treat all the plastics in the engine bay of a Scirocco we are building and it looks completely natural and should be durable. Seriously expensive stuff though so a whole roof box, you may as well buy a new one.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want it to look like the car paint that will be the paint code of the data sticker plus the clear lacquer.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.