Thread: Advice on what to buy

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on what to buy

Hi everyone,
    I'm currently in the process of selling my daly drive, a 58' Mazda MX5 roadster which is a 2.0 sport, its an exceptionally fun car! My heath has made it so I struggle with the car and its just not practical anymore for me to use anymore. I also have a classic mini and recently inherited my Dads B2 Passat, so I have two classics that act as fun cars and I'm now in need of something a bit more practical.

My Dad has always owned VW's and I've always been a fan, so it seems like a natural choice for me. Im looking for a car that I can drive, and still have fun with but also if I want or need sit back and let it drive me as such. I'll have approximately 9000, and im looking for something 5 years or under, with 5 doors, petrol, 30 or under tax. Personally I want something with 100 bhp or more, and I don't want to have to "work" at a car to get it up to a speed or for overtaking etc.

I had been looking at the Ibiza FR, however im wanting parking sensors, sat nav etc and finding an Ibiza with both these equipped isn't easy. I've been looking at the Polo SEL, ive noticed both the 1.2 and 1.0 produce the same BHP, top speed and 0-60 but the smaller 1.0 produces more torque and isn't turbocharged. Polo wise I don't think im going to find a GT in my price range.

In regards to the golf, im getting extremely confused! There is the 1.4 match but there seems to be many many options that Im uncertain of what would be good to look for.

I live in Norfolk, so I rarely do motorway mileage, and I don't cover huge ground either, is mainly pottering around the county and surrounding ones, with the odd trip further afield.

Given what I've said above, what are your opinions on what would be most suitable? I'm open to suggestions I haven't mention too!

Thanks in advance!

Amy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi AmyB,

Forget the SatNav - none of them are good as a TomTom/Garmin. When new SatNavs were very expensive extras for which few people splashed out in a budget car.

I recently purchased a 2013 Golf 1.4 SE automatic (all the goodies apart from SatNav) with under 30,000 miles from a main VW dealer for 10K. The 122 BHP engine has plenty of poke for getting up to speed and is very economical. The interior is two classes up from the Ibiza. 30 tax as well!

Start looking at those......

Manual-gearbox example

PS. Ignore the base "S" model and go for an "SE" or "Match"
    Last edited by beemerboy9; 13-08-19 at 21:00.
    2013 Golf SE 1.4 TSI DSG Pacific Blue Parking Assistant.
    The Beemer is a bike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi beemerboy9

Thanks for the advance. I understand that about the satnav, I just like the convenience of having one built in, I rarely use one so its there as a just in case. I forgot to mention Im wanting a manual, but I'll certainly look at what you've suggested thanks!
    1985 Passat B2 GL5 Estate 2.0, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyB View Post
    Hi beemerboy9

Thanks for the advance. I understand that about the satnav, I just like the convenience of having one built in, I rarely use one so its there as a just in case. I forgot to mention Im wanting a manual, but I'll certainly look at what you've suggested thanks!
    The SE models have a little drawer under the drivers seat which is just perfect for storing that TomTom - just in case. The example I gave as a link was for a manual which start at a price within your budget.
    2013 Golf SE 1.4 TSI DSG Pacific Blue Parking Assistant.
    The Beemer is a bike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add to what has been said about built in satnavs, they aren't as good as a Garmin or TomTom, the map updates are really expensive (150 an update) so on a car a few years old its very likely the maps will be out of date. And personally I prefer to have my sat nav positioned so it requires minimum eye movement to view which isn't always the case with factory fit ones. Polo/Ibiza/Fabia essentially the same car just different levels of trim and options. Personally I prefer the Polo/Fabia driving position over the Golf 7. The 4 pot 1.2 110 bhp petrol is a brilliant engine.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Sat Nav really isn't too much of an issue as the cars I'm looking at come with one, so even if I wasn't wanting one built in, anything I choose would probably come with one fitted. At least I can use my own if I don't get on with it. I've noticed the Leon and golf tend to come with the similar trim, but I don't want to go with a Leon as that's what my mum has, but can definitely tell the Polo is much much better equipped than the ibiza, they're rare as hens teeth with parking sensors! I've been looking at the SEL polo, and noticed there is the 1.0 and 1.2 versions but both have similar top speed and bhp, however the smaller engine has more torque?
    1985 Passat B2 GL5 Estate 2.0, Petrol