Thread: Golf 1.6 petrol misfire

Post Thanks / Like

Golf 1.6 petrol misfire

Hi I need some help please, I have a 2007 Golf 1.6 FSI

Fault codes
    00406 Engine oil temperature sensor[G8] implausible signal
    00010 Camshaft Position er ( bank1 Intake) Slow response P000A not a plausible Signal
    00770 Cylinder 2 misfire detected P0302 upper limit reached.

I have swapped the coil and plug form cylinder 2 to cylinder 3 and misfire does not move.

If I go to live data and watch the misfire counter, it misfire all the time untill it reaches about 1700 RPM and then the misfire goes completely.

Anyone have any idea's

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

VAG Error Code: 16580/15171/4635/000406
    EOBD II Error Code: P0196

Fault Location:
    Engine Oil Temperature Sensor [G8] - Range/Performance Problem/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Engine Oil Temperature Sensor [G8].
    Oil Level/Oil Temperature Sensor (G266).

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Implausible signal sets when the Engine Control Module (ECM) has detected a signal from the Oil Level/Oil Temperature Sensor (G266) that is not possible for longer than approximately 255 seconds.
    Check and verify the Oil Level/Oil Temperature Sensor (G266) is getting the key-on battery voltage from Pin-1 and the battery/engine ground from Pin-2. Pin-3 is the signal wire that goes to the Instrument Cluster Control Module (J285).

VAG Error Code: 2796/000010
    EOBD II Error Code: P000A

Fault Location:
    Intake Camshaft Positioner 'A', Bank 1 - Slow Response

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Intake Camshaft Timing Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty.
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Intake Camshaft Adjustment (Bank 1) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Intake Camshaft Timing Adjustment Valve 1 (N205).
    Perform Output Test.
    Check Intake Camshaft Adjustment (Bank 1).
    Perform Basic Setting.
    Check for Tightness of the Adjustment Mechanism.
    Check Engine Oil Pressure.
    Possible blockage of the oil pickup pipe.
    Difference between target and actual > 8 CRK and adjustment angle > 2.5 CRK.

Description:
    The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors and evaluates the response of the actual position on a target position change. The setpoint and camshaft position are saved at the beginning of a setpoint change. If this change over time is large enough (gradient), the camshaft phasing change is evaluated. If the change after the diagnostic time is smaller than a threshold, a slow response is detected, and if the value is greater, then there is no concern. By detecting a concern, an antibounce counter is incremented otherwise the counter is decremented. If the counter exceeds an adjustable limit, the P000A is set.

VAG Error Code: 16686/15128/10592/7115/8736/4057/000770
    EOBD II Error Code: P0302

Fault Location:
    Cylinder 2 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Lack/loss of power.
    Hard start.
    Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
    Ignition system.
    Fuel injectors.
    Fuel pressure.
    Running out of fuel.
    EVAP canister purge valve.
    Evaporative emission system.
    Low compression.
    Base engine problems.
    Engine Control Module (ECM) damaged.

Possible Solutions:
    Do a compression test.
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 15 if misfire changes location.

Special Notes:
    This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
    The P0302 code means that the cylinder 2 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 2. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

Description:
    When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor [G28]/Crankshaft Position Sensor [G28] signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if i was in the wrong section, and I have posted on here a long time ago. and always come back with the fix so it can help others.

Paul
    2007 Golf 1.6 FSI

Post Thanks / Like
    I have now done a compression test 220 PSI on all four cylinders,I have put a scope on the injector 1 and 2 while I have the misfire on cylinder 2 and they both look identical, I have swapped the coil and plug to another cylinder and the misfire does not move, I have scoped the cam shaft sensor and that looks fine, But i say the injector is working but that does not say the injector is spraying fuel, or could it be a intake leak making that cylinder run lean? fuel pressure is next if I can get on it I think. I will keep the post updated until I get to the problem, and I will find it.

paul
    2007 Golf 1.6 FSI

Post Thanks / Like
    Next step,swap injectors and look for the fault moving...

John
    2005 Polo 9N3 1.4S 16v, Petrol, BKY engine, GRZ gearbox, 5 Speed

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I am doing now in between half a dozen other jobs, so I probably wont have a answer till Monday. Thanks for the help.

Paul
    2007 Golf 1.6 FSI