Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing belt change interval

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SadClouds View Post
    Thanks. I will probably change all belts at the same time, just to be on the safe side.
    Are you changing the timing belt or is someone else?

What is the engine code of the data sticker? Data Sticker/Options Sticker and Engine Codes

I have loads of timing belt changes from ElsaWin.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have the tools nor the experience to do this job myself. I will take it to VW garage and ask them to change all the belts. Engine code seems to be CRBC.
    2015 Golf 2.0 TDI-CR CRBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 08/2012-03/2017, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: CRBC, 110Kw, 150PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR) Timing belt
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 11/2016-, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion/R32, Engine Code: CRBC, 110Kw, 150PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR) Timing belt
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so went to a local VW dealer to find out the cost of timing belt + water pump change. Here is what I was told:

- We don't normally recommend changing water pump on VW Golf Mk7 because it is quite expensive.
    - If you want timing belt changes, total cost is 494.
    - If you want timing belt and water pump changed, total cost is 750. That's 250 just for the water pump? WTF?

So I asked him what's the deal with water pump and why is it so expensive. I was told the water pump is electronic, it costs more and takes much longer to change it.

Something doesn't smell right here. I know 750 is too steep, since another VW dealer just quoted me 450 for timing belt and water pump.

Can anyone suggest why they made such a fuss about the water pump? What is so special about electronic pumps? Do they really cost 300 to change?
    Last edited by SadClouds; 10-09-19 at 21:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like your local dealer doesn't want the job! Any reasons you're not just going back to the 450 dealer??

(I've got the same problem coming up next February, assuming I haven't changed my SV by then!)
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I booked the car for 450 timing belt + water pump change, but would like to find out why there is such a big price difference between two official VW dealers. Parts and labour should be similar, would be useful if somebody on this forum could elaborate on what type of water pump is fitted to my car. Apparently the reason for such high cost is because of the "special" electronic water pump, so they would have to drain the system, fit water pump, pressurise it and run diagnostics, etc. But I don't understand why the other VW dealer are not making such a big deal out of it and charging me 300 less. I suspect all VW Golf Mk7 are fitted with electronic water pumps, this is probably the norm these days and there is nothing special about it. Some garages tell their customers all sorts of tall tales in order to hike up their prices.
    Last edited by SadClouds; 10-09-19 at 21:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are often 3 water pumps, two fully electric and one electro mechanically controlled but driven by the timing belt. Make sure they check to see if the front crank oil seal is leaking, it s a common issue and ruins the belt.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Crasher. I assume only one pump gets changes, i.e. the one driven by timing belt, the other 2 pumps are normally not touched? Also, if the front crank oil seal is leaking, how much effort is it to replace it? Is it quite simple, or does it need draining oil and taking the engine apart?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a medium sized job to change, the seal is an integral part of the plastic housing so you have to fit the 79.85 updated housing but painfully this means removing the sump and so the job takes a few hours plus there is good room for a cockup if the sealing of the sump is botched.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12