Thread: Noisy on rough tarmac

Post Thanks / Like

Noisy on rough tarmac

I get lots of flappy body noise when rear wheels traverse over poor tarmac. (BTW quite normal for South Bucks).
    I discovered the reason after removing rear wheel under arch:
    Part B (the under arch cover in photo below), is a flappy soft fiber construction of two pieces stapled together. It is the only means for giving rigidity to Part A (i.e the plastic piece of body trim which wraps from the rear bumper).

Because the whole of the bottom edge of undercover is so flimsey and only fixed by one screw, the weighty bottom area of undercover distorts over small bumps and Part B flaps with it.
    I only checked the nearside rear wheel so far, since most of the noise was coming from this area. It can be checked by hand without removing rear wheel. Simply grasp the bottom inner corner of the undercover A and feel it's freedom to move. The body trim B will move with it.

Any other Arteon's with this issue?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arteon_Rear_Wheel_Undercover.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	6812
    2018 Arteon R-Line 2.0 TSi + Discover Media Gen2
    Passat Mk7 2.0 TDI DSG
    Golf 1.4 TSI
    Audi A4 Manual
    Honda CBR1100xx Blackbird
    VCDS

Post Thanks / Like
    I've not come across this issue and I've covered about 22k miles so far across various qualities of tarmac. I see you have an R-Line whereas mine is an Elegance and I know the front and read bumper designs differ between the two trim levels so I'm wondering if what you've described affects only R-Line Arteons.
    2018 Arteon Elegance 1.5 TSI Manual in Pyrite Silver with 19" Chennai alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardR View Post
    I've not come across this issue and I've covered about 22k miles so far across various qualities of tarmac. I see you have an R-Line whereas mine is an Elegance and I know the front and rear bumper designs differ between the two trim levels so I'm wondering if what you've described affects only R-Line Arteons.
    Happy New Year Richard. I guess you are right about R-Line differences. The Elegance must be the higher end option then ! My other mods in 2019....

After 10K miles I took off both front wheel under arches and added high quality sound insulation, and also to spare wheel floor area. I was getting intollerable road noise from a certain section of the M20 where the pave is ribbed concrete. Much better now and I can maintain 70 mpg all the way!

I run tyres on the "comfort" pressure setting now!

I raised the driving seat so that when the seat is in it's rearmost position, I can still see over the steering wheel.
    Passat Mk7 2.0 TDI DSG
    Golf 1.4 TSI
    Audi A4 Manual
    VCDS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Midori View Post
    After 10K miles I took off both front wheel under arches and added high quality sound insulation, and also to spare wheel floor area. I was getting intollerable road noise from a certain section of the M20 where the pave is ribbed concrete.
    I know what you mean about the noise from those concrete road surfaces. On a couple of recent trips along the M25 and M20 to the Channel Tunnel I was just about ready to tear my ears off due to the horrible droning noise from mile after mile of concrete. I swear the resonance has got worse over the years in each successive car I've had.

Are you still running the original Pirelli P-Zeros? It would be tempting to try switching to something like ContiSilent tyres but I have limited options as mine's a company car.
    2018 Arteon Elegance 1.5 TSI Manual in Pyrite Silver with 19" Chennai alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I an still on the Pirelli P-Zeros - cannot wait for them to wear our so that I can try another type of rubber.

Yes, I know that M20 concrete section on the way to Eurotunnel. Done it twice this year, before and after the front wheel arch treatment. It is well worth the time and expense doing just that. Takes just under 6 hours. I used the Noico stuff.
    Noico 80 mil (2 mm) 36 sqft (3.4 sqm) car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening

Passat Mk7 2.0 TDI DSG
    Golf 1.4 TSI
    Audi A4 Manual
    VCDS