Thread: Eco mode not active on startup

Post Thanks / Like

Eco mode not active on startup

Hello

I have a new 2019 Golf Estate (7.5) 1.5 EVO 150 DSG and I have a question about the driving modes.

When I start the car up it displays 'Eco' on the screen, which is the mode I left it in when I turned the car off. However, I don't think it is really in that mode. I can tell, because when it is really in that mode I get the message 'Coasting' after lifting completely off the throttle on the Active Info Display when viewing 'Consumption'. I don't see that message after first starting the car.

If I then hit the Driving Mode button, and press the 'Eco' button on the touch screen, I then start to see that message. The Eco button is already highlighted, so it seems like I am not really changing anything.

So it appears that the car is defaulting to 'Normal' driving mode, but incorrectly displaying 'Eco' on the screen.

Does anyone else see this? It is resolvable by just pressing 'Eco', but that seems a bit of a faff if it is supposed to correctly remember the last setting.
    2019 Golf Estate GT 1.5 TSI EVO DSG - Indium Grey, Dynaudio Excite, Discover Pro, 18" Jurva Wheels, Active Info Display, Climate Windscreen, Winter Pack
    Up! Beats 2019 in the family too!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Golf 7.5 which I often leave in Eco mode.It always stays on until I change it .Mines a 17 plate so maybe they have changed the software?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Yes it’s the exactly the same in this year’s Polo. Somewhat frustrating, having previously owned a Mk7 Golf GT Edition (Luxurious Comfort with Sporting Style to quote the advertising) which did remember the driving mode after switching off.
    I now use the individual mode in the Polo for the bulk of my travels as the system does keep the setting that you require. I think there’s something in the depths of the handbook about it.
    2019 Polo GTI+ 2.0 TFSI 200PS

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I'll try the Individual Mode and set that up to be just like Eco, and see if the settings persist across restarts.
    2019 Golf Estate GT 1.5 TSI EVO DSG - Indium Grey, Dynaudio Excite, Discover Pro, 18" Jurva Wheels, Active Info Display, Climate Windscreen, Winter Pack

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    Just realised I didn't fully explain. I'm under the impression when setting the Individual mode as Eco you lose the coasting facility. I'm not sure why.
    However, I decided that this was offset by the reduction in the wear and tear on the clutches, disengaging and engaging at each coasting operation. I'm happy to be corrected as I'm not an expert on mechanical matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that does seem to be the case. The coasting mode isn't available in 'Individual' mode, tried it at lunchtime today. I'll stick with having to click 'Eco' each time I start the car, as I like the coasting mode for fuel savings (if you drive in a way that takes advantage of it!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That's good to hear. I'm comforted with the fact that I did understand what was going on.
    My fondest memory of my previous Golf GT was on the M5, coasting downhill, 2 cylinders deactivated, whilst travelling at 70mph, or thereabouts.
    I'm always impressed with the technology. Happy motoring.