Thread: 1998 3b Passat Dampener Broken Mount

Post Thanks / Like

Question 1998 3b Passat Dampener Broken Mount

Hiya,
    I'm new here so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. This is the first car I have owned. When I bought it there was a knocking noise over the right rear wheel. After closer inspection I realized that inside the wheel well the (I believe its called a) dampener has broken out of the top mount. The spring itself (on the inside side of the wheel well not visible from the outside) is fine. The banging of the lose dampener is bothering me, I don't want to screw the car up anymore, but I need to drive it to work every day. I'm wondering if removing the dampener completely would save the car from further damage until I have the money to get it fixed and if so, how would I go about removing it.

PS I'm not sure if I'm using the right language here my definition of a dampener is the piston that goes along with each coil, it is filled with oil and controls the compression and rebound.

Cheers,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Check the mounting and the spring.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jartinmanda View Post
    Hiya,
    I'm new here so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. This is the first car I have owned. When I bought it there was a knocking noise over the right rear wheel. After closer inspection I realized that inside the wheel well the (I believe its called a) dampener has broken out of the top mount. The spring itself (on the inside side of the wheel well not visible from the outside) is fine. The banging of the lose dampener is bothering me, I don't want to screw the car up anymore, but I need to drive it to work every day. I'm wondering if removing the dampener completely would save the car from further damage until I have the money to get it fixed and if so, how would I go about removing it.

PS I'm not sure if I'm using the right language here my definition of a dampener is the piston that goes along with each coil, it is filled with oil and controls the compression and rebound.

Cheers,
    Martin
    The car is in an un-roadworthy, dangerous condition. If you drive it like that, your insurance would be invalid (at least in the UK it would be).
    2013 Golf SE 1.4 TSI DSG Pacific Blue Parking Assistant.
    The Beemer is a bike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerboy9 View Post
    The car is in an un-roadworthy, dangerous condition. If you drive it like that, your insurance would be invalid (at least in the UK it would be).
    hi, first off I'm sorry for not making an introduction as my first post. ^^ Secondly I am not in the uk. It's definitely not against my insurance policy, or against the law to remove the dampener. I only want to know what the best course of action is. Lets say I'm in the midst of a rally race and the top dampener mount is irreparable, would removing the dampener cause any issues that would make the car more unsafe to drive than it is now.
    1998 Passat 3B 1.9 TDI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Check the mounting and the spring.
    Seeing as I am broke and my car has 500 000 km on the OD, I will definitely be revisiting this forum. Apologies for not doing an introduction, I'm a 20 year old recently licensed driver who has little to no experience with cars and or their repairs. However I am interested in being competent in basic knowledge (especially on VW's) and am always happy to contribute what knowledge I have to the community.
    1998 Passat 3B 1.9 TDI